Wall mounting tv on one stud.

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-17, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall mounting tv on one stud.

Probably been beaten to death but I got a 65in Sony x900 and a tv mount a couple days ago. Take the mount out and start measuring things up, I've got studs that are 24in OC on the wall I want it on, the middle of the wall is a stud (next stud on either side is 24in away), and the mount Will barely span the gap either way. Sooooo I can't center this tv unless I rig this thing up somehow. Don't really wanna go the plywood span route unless I have to. This is what I'm thinking...

Catch the one middle stud with the middle of the back bracket using two lag bolts, then use 4 toggle bolts in the four outside corners of the bracket for support. The tv itself is only 50lbs, and im not using a full range or swivel tv mount so it' not moving a lot and the weight is kept close to the wall as opposed to a full motion mount with an arm pushing weight away from the wall. I'm using a tilting-only mount. Don't really think it would be an issue but figured I'd see if any of y'all have tried something like this and had any bad results.

thanks,
LR010

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-17, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
I would say that should be ok as long as that one stud is wood.
You can use four toggle bolts or togglers in the mounting plate corners.

Old 11-18-17, 07:24 PM
Yes the one stud is wood 2x4.

had a local tv hanger/installer suggest doing that, was kinda skeptical at first but really thinking about it, it makes sense. I always like getting a second opinion before just running with it

Old 11-18-17, 07:41 PM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Try to use the largest toggle bolts possible. You want to distribute as much weight across the wall board. I think you'll be OK.

Old 11-18-17, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
If you have the wide bracket with lots of holes in it..... you could use more then 4 fasteners too. The weight is on the top of the bracket. Space 4 across the top with one in each corner and then two on the bottom..... one in each corner.

The togglers are a very effective mounting system. They actually get set in the wall so there is no need to mess around with the standard toggle bolts not opening properly.

This link is just to illustrate how they work. They're available at all home improvement stores...... Toggler

Name:  tv.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  7.3 KB

Old 11-18-17, 09:54 PM
The togglers (not toggle bolts) Pete referred to are very strong. Here's another link to a drywall anchor that is rated at 300 lbs in all directions.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WingIts-...35-2/202552913

Either way the TV is going nowhere. I like the wingits because the screw can be removed and reinserted.

Old 11-18-17, 10:07 PM
Group Moderator
I like the wingits because the screw can be removed and reinserted.
Same as the togglers.

Yes....also a good fastener.

Old 11-19-17, 04:54 AM
Received 91 Votes on 82 Posts
Sorry, my Engineering background kicking in.

16 x 48 x 3/4 piece of plywood or two strips of 6 x 48 x 3/4 plywood spanned across 3 studs will be more than sufficient.

Expensive TV hung on one stud with whatever type of drywall clamps is just mickey mouse!

Old 11-19-17, 05:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 4 Posts
You didn't say so, I'm just curious...
Why not move the TV one way or the other & secure it to two studs (24" center) rather than trying to use three studs at 48" center?
Just screw the TV mount to two studs with 4 , 6 or 8 screws. That will secure it.

I understand you probably want to center it, but I'd say its not likely that the middle of three studs will be center of the wall, so using two studs might give you more opportunity to center it, than trying to squeeze center out of three studs.

Old 11-19-17, 07:22 AM
Expensive TV hung on one stud with whatever type of drywall clamps is just mickey mouse!
I have to disagree. I have personally used these types of anchors. If installed properly, you could not pry out the screw if you tried.
When the manufacturer states the anchors are rated for 300 pounds in all directions, they mean it. These anchors are strong enough to hang a TV using no studs at all.
The only thing they are not recommended for is a single stud articulating mount.

Old 11-19-17, 08:34 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
I say skip the whole wall mount idea. I like my TV on a stand. It's much more versatile. You can change furniture arrangement easily. You don't need to make special power arrangements or try to hide a cord. And I prefer to watch TV at eye level as opposed to looking up. But that's just me.

Old 11-19-17, 10:23 AM
So here's what I did. Put two 2.5in lag bolts in the middle (on stud, of course) and 4 toggle bolts rated at 90lbs each in the 4 corners. Meant to get a pic before putting the tv on but forgot to, will get some when i take it back off for wiring and a couple other things. But I did almost completely hang from it and it stayed solid. I'm 230lbs easy and I'd say I exerted about 150 to 175lbs hanging by my fingertips from the top of the mount and it didn't even budge. I'd say that its safe to hang 50lbs on it lol. When in doubt, hang yourself from it.. lmao.

I didn't wanna go the plywood route since it would push the tv out from the wall a little more than I'd like and it's more work to pretty up a plywood piece and attach it, then do the mount. Its not a fully articulating mount, just tilting and I don't plan on adjusting it often. Thanks for the input guys and I hope I was able to help someone that may be asking the same question now or in the future.

[IMG]http://i68.************/rk7u3m.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-19-17, 10:29 AM
I give up trying to post the pic.... lmao

Old 11-19-17, 11:39 AM
I think you will be OK but I wish you wouldn't have gone with regular spring loaded toggle bolts, they are junk and will break when overtightened.
You got good advice from Pete and I would follow it.

Old 11-19-17, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
DIY doesn't allow hot linking to all hosting sites.
You can post your picture here directly.... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 11-19-17, 02:20 PM
Received 91 Votes on 82 Posts
I have to disagree. I have personally used these types of anchors. If installed properly, you could not pry out the screw if you tried.

I just picked up a air hose reel yesterday, huge unit, weighs 82#. It's going up on the garage ceiling with (2) 8' Unistruts that will be lag bolted and U-bolted to the ceiling rafters.

If your game, I'll install with a bunch of toggle bolts and you can stand underneath and pull the 75' hose down and let it rip up a few time and lets see how safe that installation will be.

Doing krappy work just enhances the bad rap, some well deserved, of DIY!

Old 11-19-17, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Ok..... I can see this is turning into a pissing match. The job is done. I don't see any reason to keep rehashing what was done or how it was done or how it should have been done.

Closed Thread