RCA Television blows fuses

Old 05-08-01, 06:20 PM
Visiting Guest
I have an RCA television that JUST went out of warranty about a month ago. A few days ago my girlfriend went to turn it on but it did nothing. I opened it up to find that it had blown a fuse. I replaced the 5A 125V fuse and went to plug it in only to find that it blew the new fuse as soon as the plug touched the wall.

Any ideas as to where to start troubleshooting this problem? I'm a PC technician by profession, but I havn't worked on any TV sets so I don't really know where to start. I am however aware of the dangers involved.

Old 05-09-01, 07:36 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good morning, my friend:

You will forgive me for not using your ename on this post. I think you are better than that.

As for the RCA, their big problems usually end up in the primary power supply. They put together some bridge rectifier circuits and often underspec'd their diodes. My first thought is that a diode has shorted and can be tracked down with a decent volt-ohm meter.

Also, because of this problem with under spec'ing components, it doesn't take much to cause an electronic failure in these sets. I highly recommend you pick up a good surge protector and put it on the AC line. You can get both the diode and the surge device at such places as Radio Shack at a decent price.

Smokey

Old 05-09-01, 11:06 AM
Visiting Guest
RE:

Would you by any chance happen to know where I could get white papers on specific RCA TV's so that I can know what voltages to check for? If you know a quick answer to this without having to look at a white paper or diagram that would be okay too.

Thank you,

Chris

Old 05-09-01, 01:55 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon, Chris:

I like that better than the ename. Yes, there are schematics available on your set. For one, you could contact the company directly via the web. Another place I would look would be the old standby, Sams Photofacts. They have a website at http://www.samswebsite.com/

A last alternative is Union Electronics. They have a web site and seem to have most of the elusive things a good technician needs (such as schematics).

Smokey

Old 05-09-01, 03:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Will that site give me information such as what the voltages and such should be? Also, where can I find information on how to read such schematics? Most of it should be pretty straightforward, but I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I jump in there and get bitten by a capacitor or something.

Old 05-10-01, 07:48 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, Chris:
I've used Sams Photofacts for years and found them the most comprehensive package for the average person. The schematics show the diagram, voltages, and waveforms to be found at strategic points in the set. The rest of the stuff takes time to show you exactly where everything is located with lots of pictures.

As for how to read the diagrams, I can't help you there. About the only think I can tell you is that you need a good course on basic electronics. It's not too hard to pick it up, either. Actually, there are only four basic electronic circuits: a rectifier, an amplifier, an oscillator, and an impedance matcher. Everything else is just a variation of the four.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: