TV support straps

Old 01-14-18, 06:25 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
TV support straps

I have a 50+" Sony TV that's unsecured and I've become concerned by my grandson's interest in it. As a result, I want to secure the TV to either the wooden cabinet or the wall. My problem: the TV is over 10 years old and I'm unable to find a way to secure it. The manual shows a strap that seems to clip into the TV and I can find nothing like it. Instead, I'm finding straps that screw into the TV but my TV has no such connections.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-18, 06:37 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Supply us with the model number and pictures of the back of the TV. Also your current location of the TV and where you may want to mount or locate it.

Old 01-14-18, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Even TVs 10 years old should have 4 holes in the back that can be used to attach it to a wall mount. Those holes could easily be used to attach some sort of bracket that can then be attached to a strap like in the picture. The holes might be covered up by some plugs but the should be 4 of them. They will take metric screws,

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-18, 06:56 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
I might add the following comment. Those older TV's were very heavy and so the threat of injury from falling is real. But I noticed that they usually had very study basis and tended to be well balanced. Newer TV's are much lighter but also they have cheapened the basis or legs. Most have four stalks that spread out to stand up on. But they are thin and very little surface area touches the cabinet they may sit on. I like the type that had a very large oval or square base that nearly covered the whole width and length of the TV with a beefy neck attaching the actual TV to the base.

Old 01-14-18, 07:08 AM
Here's a stock photo of the back I'm using as the TV is difficult to move safely. The Sony model is KDS-R50XBR1. It is a projection TV so it is more balanced and heavier than typical flat screens. There are no holes I can find. The two slots with arrows are small screws. The square at the bottom center is for a safety clip but i have no idea how to find it.

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-18, 07:36 AM
Received 94 Votes on 85 Posts
I found the manual, looks like the TV came with or had a dedicated table (it's not a wall mount) that contained straps that clip into the the chassis. Might call Sony!
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1515944202

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-18, 01:38 PM
Marq1, thanks for responding. The stand shown did not come with the TV and we went for a wood cabinet. At any rate, the strap shown is what I originally looked for and have been unable to find.

Old 01-14-18, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
How about a strap over the case ?

Name:  back.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  49.4 KB

Old 01-14-18, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
It appears that you could attach a strap here: (see red box below) According to Marq1's picture it looks like the original strap had a quick release buckle.

Otherwise you will just need to get creative. You could likely back out any screw and attach some piece of hardware that you could then attach a strap to. It really doesn't need to be super strong, it just needs to prevent the TV from tipping over.

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-18, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Now that I'm thinking about it..... Sony usually has a double screw mounting system. All those screws around the upper part of the back will be in one hole and there will be an empty one next to it that you could use.

Old 01-15-18, 03:42 AM
Received 94 Votes on 85 Posts
I'll bet with a little probing you will find lots of room inside the cabinet where you could attach a simple buckle, like from a spa with some 1/2" long #10 screws and make your own tie down for a few dollars.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1516016563

Attached Images