What to use in a battery holder...

Old 01-30-18, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
What to use in a battery holder...

So, picked up a hat with LEDs in the brim (I know you've seen them) and the battery holder wasn't removed (obviously) when it was washed. One of the side contacts was a bit corroded and bent. When I tried to straighten it, it broke off. It's a dual battery side by side slide in type where the side contact sort of holds the battery under tension. About 5/8" wide and 1 1/2" long slightly thicker than the battery. You have to dig out the battery with a fingernail.

So, what kind of material would you use to replace the side contact? It's typical super thin chrome plated metal. I don't really need it to hold the battery, I'll address that another way.

I don't have any electronic stores or even parts junk piles, unless I go dig through the city electronics re-cycling dumpster (I don't think they'd appreciate that). I may have an old MB around, but kinda hate to destroy a working item. I was thinking maybe I could use an aluminum can?

So, what material or a good source for a battery holder?

Old 01-30-18, 11:03 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Can you fashion a contact using al foil? Or take apart a pen shirt clip? Or hammer a paperclip flat and do MacGyver type thing.

I think the bigger question here is WHY?

Last edited by Norm201; 01-30-18 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-30-18, 11:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Do you have any brass sheet? But past that I'd start getting creative with anything you can find lying around that will work. If you use an aluminum can you may have to sand it as the interior of many is enamel coated.

Old 01-30-18, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Because I want the lights to work, and fixing the existing holder means I don't have to wait 45 days for the 10 for $3 holders to arrive from China. I'm sure not paying what Digikey wants...or ridiculous shipping charges on Amazon. Plus I'm cheap with nothing better to do right now.

I like the pen clip...might be just the ticket...a bit of springiness (?) and should be thin enough once flattened. I have the broken piece so I have a pattern.

Ahhh for the days when I could have just gone through all our parts in the shop and found what I needed. Or asked the MR to make something for me.

Old 01-30-18, 12:05 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I have one of those hats that uses 2032 electronic batteries, but sounds like yours might be AAA? Anyway, if it fits, I'd agree with Norm in giving aluminum foil shot. Can't remember what it was, but caused me to have a flashback, maybe 40 or more years ago, possibly something to do with slot cars, that we would stuff a piece the foil off of Wrigley's chewing gum in to make the contact. If you need something heavier, maybe a sliver off the edge of a step flashing? I'd use a strip of copper shim stock, but haven't had to buy any in a long time, and imagine the shops where I bought my stock from are long gone. As far as the corrosion, vinegar followed by backing soda and water does a pretty good job. Apply them with a Q-tip. My wife looked at me a bit skeptically, but that's what I told her to use a week or so ago on our remote thermometer, and it cleaned that green stuff right up.

Old 01-30-18, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Thin brass sheet would be ideal...but don't have any, and wouldn't know where to get it. Like the stuff they would inlay right? Hmmm...what about flattening brazing rod?

I know my welder guy could probably fix it...he's really really good, but even he would look at me funny...lol.

Old 01-30-18, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Pedro...mine is 2-2032's also, thought I had mentioned that. Yep, shim stock would be great...but like you...where to get it?

Actually, I just used some cola...followed by a water rinse to clean it up. Just enough phosphoric acid to get rid of all the corrosion w/o damage. Been using it on car battery terminals for years.

Old 01-30-18, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
All fixed. Was bringing in the trash can and happened to see one of those large aluminum screw on caps for the aluminum bottles? Hmmmm he thought...that's already round and has grooves and embossing built in to stiffen it. A few snips with my small shears, a bend or two to adjust, slide it in place with a drop of gel superglue underneath, clamp for 5 min....works like a champ!

Only now I find out the stupid main LEDs are GREEN! I guess it's more for fishing or hunting since it's got a Bass Pro emblem? Doesn't green light make blood trails easier to spot maybe? Anyway, if I turn all of them on, the white and the green, they aren't really co-witnessed very well. The green is nice and bright, so it's usable, just wish they were white.

Old 01-30-18, 04:20 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. And yes, green light seems to be a little easier to see at night with. Don't know why.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: