Can Anyone Recommend a 55" LED for My Family Room

Old 02-07-18, 09:09 AM
Can Anyone Recommend a 55" LED for My Family Room

I am looking to purchase a 55" LED for my family room, but I'm not sure what to buy. Can anyone give me a recommendation? It will be my main TV, so I'd like something decent. I see a lot of LG/Samsung, but I don't know much about the technical aspects. I'd like to stay in the $600-$1k price range, if possible, but I could go up to $1200. If I can't get something decent in that price range, I'd be willing to buy a smaller TV.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-18, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
My folks just got the Samsung Q7F QLED, it's got a pretty awesome picture. Might be a little spendy though... $1279 online.

Old 02-07-18, 09:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most TV's are decent today. The thing you need to look for in a TV for quality is "Pixels". That's the dots per sq inch. For example 720p vs 1080p vs 2160p etc...... The higher the better.

The lower it is, when showing close-ups like in football when the camera zooms in to see if the players foot is in or out of bounds, it will become those little squares... just as an example to help you understand. The higher the number the better the picture.

I have Sony, Sanyo, Element & something else... I cant remember. All good TVs as for longevity, its all electronics today & most will last.

Old 02-07-18, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Feb Consumer Reports has a long long list of TV's. No, not a ton of specs, but specs don't tell you much about the actual machine. It may list a certain feature, but if that feature doesn't work well, what's the point? And you're right...LG and Samsung pretty much dominate (with a few Sony's thrown in). For the better rated models...looks like about $800 is the lowest price in the 55" category. For $1200, you can pick up a well rated model, but to get into their top 10, you're talking $1500+.

Old 02-07-18, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I went with the Sony Bravia but I have heard Vizio is a good TV and a lot less expensive.

Old 02-07-18, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
I have a Vizio and a Sceptre both 32" and their pictures are just fine for bedroom TV's. I have an Element 42" for the garage and again, the picture is good for that location. All 3 have relatively poor sound, but for the uses are adequate. A main TV would probably have a soundbar or other external system anyway. All of their menu's are a bit hard to navigate with some settings unavailable completely.

The first Vizio on CR's list is ranked 30th out of 56 and actually costs more than many Samsungs and a few LGs that are ranked higher. It also requires a compatible smartphone or tablet for Smart TV functions...doesn't sound like a great buy to me.

I'd have no problem with any of the economy brands as a "utility tv" but if most of your viewing is on the main set, I think you'll want to stay with the better brands.

I'd really recommend getting a copy of the CR issue (library?) and determine what items are most important to you. I think almost all TV's now have plenty of inputs and outputs, so basically it comes down to picture, performance, and ease of use.

Old 02-07-18, 12:49 PM
Check this guys ideas about buying a new TV. You might have to copy and paste the link but it has some interesting information. https://clarkdeals.com/tv/great-tv-d...7bf75-71147957

Old 02-07-18, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
I normally like Clark Howard...but I gotta say he's way off on some things in this article. He's not a tech guy after all, he's a money guy. If he's willing to spend $100 less and get a slightly lower quality picture, all fine and good. When that $100 can buy a better picture AND more functionality...it's not quite as good a deal. He talks about a small room and a large screen size. Sure I wouldn't put a 65" in a 10 x 10 room (unless it was a gaming setup), but if you sit the average distance away from your main TV, say 8-10 ft or more...then pretty much the sky's the limit. The picture quality is so good on better sets (even with normal HD, let alone 4K) you'll never see any graininess. It's more about can you see all the action on the screen w/o having to dart your eyes all over the place. I worked as a theater projectionist and never understood the people (kids mostly) who sat in the front row...no way could you catch all the nuances of the whole scene. All the ones on the CR list are 4K except a few that are far below the OP's price range and shouldn't be considered IMO. Also, the story lists the effectiveness of that particular models HDR signal processing. Just having the label on the box doesn't mean it works that well...even for some of the big names models. Some of the brands that seem like good names (RCA, Sharp, Toshiba, etc) don't even support HDR or it's ineffective. That would be like buying a new car whose ABS or VSC doesn't work.

Old 02-07-18, 02:09 PM
I have 3 Samsungs. I don't think I would buy another brand. I really like the Smart TV features. I used to buy Sony TVs but I had a problem with the last one (a Bravia) and their customer service was worthless.

Best Buy offers a 55" Samsung for around $900. 4K (2160p) with 3 HDMI ports.

Old 02-07-18, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
And that's a pretty well rated model, UN55MU8000. 14 out of 56 and w/in 4 points of the #7 model that costs about $1300 retail.

Old 02-07-18, 03:35 PM
I am a big fan of Samsung Smart TVs. Why, because most if not all support a feature known as DLNA. DLNA lets you very easily stream media content from your computer to the TV. I built a media server using FreeBSD OS and some other software programs available for FreeBSD and I have never enjoyed my Samsung Smart TV so much.

Old 02-08-18, 09:19 AM
I've found that reading reviews about TVs is time-consuming and exhausting. As soon as you think you've narrowed down your choice, there's always a negative review that will change your mind. Best thing to do IMO is go to Best Buy and look at them in person. Pay attention not only to picture quality, but to audio as well. Some of the ultra-thin TVs have puny speakers and do not have good sound quality. I agree that LG and Samsung are the best options. The integrated "smart" features/interface on these TVs never appeals to me, so I just use a Roku, which is much better .

Old 02-08-18, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
One of the things my folks like about their Samsung Q7F is the picture that almost seems 3d... And the brightness of the picture. When the sun is shining in the windows it doesn't affect the picture at all.

Old 02-08-18, 02:09 PM
I found brands don't make that much of a difference. A particular model today will have a fantastic picture but tomorrows model may not.

I'll make this suggestion. Regardless of what brand, look for two things! Does it have a sport mode? That will brighten a picture for sporting events. And yes it does make a difference. Second, (I don't remember the term), but look for blurring when viewing fast action. It should not! An Indy car race or a football action should be crystal clear when viewing fast action. And it should be very smooth.

Another item that make for easy convenience is q quick way of going from TV, to Internet, to YouTube, Netflix or other streaming sources.

Old 02-08-18, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Norm & I say the same thing in our posts... agreed.

Old 02-08-18, 04:52 PM
The recommendation I would give is go bigger. We bought LG, love it, and installed 65", honestly as cheap as it was I now wish I had gone bigger.

As comparison, back in 94 we purchased a 40" Mitsubishi TV, it was a heavy beast and I think we paid around $2500, Our 65" LG was about 1/3 of that!!

Old 02-08-18, 06:13 PM
Bigger is nice. BUT...it depends on the room size. Too big in a small room can cause eye strain. And viewing angle is important too. Whenever I buy a TV I always look at it in the store from about a 30 to 45 degree angle to see if the picture is clear. Where you decide to mount is also will dictate the size. A small screen mounted high on a wall is a neck strain.

Old 02-14-18, 09:50 AM
Wow, I came on this site for help, and I strangely find this thread!!!

I just purchased a 55" TCL 55S403 yesterday at Costco, for $339.99. (My wife suggested two models which she found at Sam's Club, the highest being a 50" at $399). I found I could get a 55" Hitachi 55R80 for $399 at Sam's, and then decided to check the Costco site. Strangely this TCL has very similar features to the Hitachi, yet about $60 cheaper.

So I went and picked one up, got a wall mount that I may return, and spent $34.99 for a Service plan. Costco automatically adds 1 year warranty, to make 2, and then the plan adds 3 years on top, for a total of 5 years.

As I was checking out I saw one returned at the return desk. A little nervous I took it home and set it up. We have an ethernet outlet in each room and that is the connection I used. Turn it on and it walks you through an update download and Roku setup.

Scanned for TV channels, and then it notes it will pause live TV for 90 mins with a 16GB or larger USB connected to the USB port, so I used a 16GB USB stick I had, and paused the Olympics while I watched my son while doing his homework, then we went to watch what it had recorded before going to bed.

So far so good.....

Old 02-14-18, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Hey, if the picture is good enough for you, sounds like you did well. It's gets good reviews from several places (like CNET) except for picture quality. Of course, w/o much 4K content available, that might not be a big deal for most.

Old 02-14-18, 02:41 PM
It's specs are so close to the Hitachi model I noted, that I couldn't help feeling it was pretty much the same. My main focus is the current Olympic games, but the Roku seems very nice....

The OP could get 2 or 3 for the entire home with the budget mentioned.

Maybe I'm not picky, but Costco does have a good return policy of 90 days from what I read just in case someone might have trouble with it....

I'm happy with it, just need to sort out grounding the antenna I attached to the outside of the house for the NBC signal.....