a problem with a magnavox vcr/dvd recorder, dvd tray stuck, won't open.

Old 03-16-18, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a problem with a magnavox vcr/dvd recorder, dvd tray stuck, won't open.

This is a Magnavox zv450mw8 VCR/DVD Recorder. I got this machine asis on eBay. The seller told me about the VCR side of the house. The VCR side needs new belts, springs, felt pads and a dab of white grease. The takeup reel is dragging. The DVD side, the DVD side is spouse to play DVD's just fine. He tested it just before boxing it up. When I got it and plugged it in, the DVD tray won't open. The display says "open". The tray does nothing and the device turns off after about 2 seconds. I opened up the DVD deck and the motor that turns the gears is not moving. I checked the red and black wires coming out of the motor at the pc board with my VOM. There is no voltage. Also the cooling fan on the back wall doesn't turn over. But the fan mite be temperature controlled. What do I do? Without the service manual I would be just taking stab's in the dark.

Steve

I have been seeing posts about a mode switch on the main board going bad.

Last edited by reble; 03-16-18 at 12:15 AM. Reason: A PS
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-18, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 175 Posts
I would not buy a non working device. They are still available for free or for dirt cheap at yard sales and flea markets.

If you want to fix it I am sure getting drive belts, springs and pads for a VCR is becoming difficult but maybe you can find another of the same model and use one as a parts donor. How much time and money do you want to invest?

Old 03-16-18, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
I would not buy a non working device. They are still available for free or for dirt cheap at yard sales and flea markets.

If you want to fix it I am sure getting drive belts, springs and pads for a VCR is becoming difficult but maybe you can find another of the same model and use one as a parts donor. How much time and money do you want to invest?
Time I have bucket's load of, if I could turn even part of that time into cash I would be independently wealthy. I new going in that I had to fix the VCR side. I just didn't count on the DVD side going bad also. I will probably have to sink in around an other $20. some odd bucks for the service manual and an other $20. some odd bucks for a new OEM DVD deck.

Old 03-16-18, 10:17 AM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Browse around a bit, there are lots of manuals and service manuals that have been scanned in.
Lost of "pay sites" .

Many DVD drives are essentially computer DVD drives, many will have the "insert-paper-clip" hole to disengage the tray, but you may have to unmount the drive to get to it.

Or, if you are lucky, just use an exacto knife to make a hole in the front cover so that you can access the dvd release.

Old 03-16-18, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
The DVD tray mechanism is usually controlled by a belt driven motor. There's a good chance just the belt needs to be replaced.

I can usually find free online manuals but didn't for that unit. You can order one for direct download to your computer. I have used manuals from this company and they are reliable.... MAGNAVOX ZV450MW8_service manual

Old 03-19-18, 09:41 PM
I have the service manual. The service manual doesn't have a flow chart (example: if point [A] has voltage then go here and check this. If point [A] has no voltage then check this other thing). This DVD tray is a direct gear drive and there is no voltage getting to the drive motor. I have my eye on a used rebuilt OEM DVD drive for this VCR/DVD combo for about $25.00 I just have to wait for payday on April 3rd.
When the machine is in VCR mode. It will load VHS tape into the machine, the arms pull the tape out, the video head heads spins and the tape starts to play. Then the arms pull the tape back into the cartridge and the cartridge is kicked out. and the machine turns off. and there is ....:.... on the display. Looking at the machine from the front there is a spring tension idler arm next to the shaft that comes out of the main drive motor The spring for that tension idler arm is damaged. That's all that I spotted so far. I haven't checked the belts, felt pads and other springs yet.

Quoted by
03-16-18, 10:53 AM #5
PJmax: The DVD tray mechanism is usually controlled by a belt driven motor. There's a good chance just the belt needs to be replaced.

Old 05-10-18, 01:13 AM
Update. I got a good deal on a used/rebuilt OEM DVD deck for this VCR/DVD player/recorder. It plays and records just fine now on the DVD side.

But from what I can see to change the belt on the under side of the VCR deck is imposable without 1st unbolting the main PC board. Because the VCR deck is bolted to the main PC board via an up-side-down machine screw. I could cut that 1 leg off with a very small grinding wheel for my dremel tool. Anyway if I remember right this bolted down tab to the PC board is a redundant ground and can be done away with. But It has been a quite a few blue moons/years since I dug this deep into a VCR or a VCR/DVD combo machine. Should I cut that ground stud off the VCR deck or take the time and remove the main PC board and unscrew it? Opinions please.

Steve