Music on a flash drive

Old 05-03-18, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Music on a flash drive

I just bought a 2018 Grand Cherokee. Despite it being the most expensive car I've ever bought, it doesn't have a CD player. The salesman said that car CD players are going the way of the dinosaur.

OK, I guess the people, in general, must not be wanting them. But, this old guy has tons of CD's... Can I burn a CD onto a flash drive, and play it through the USB port in the car?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-18, 05:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 4 Posts
I have done that but not in a long time. I burned many CDs to MP3. You just gotta have the software to do it.
Let me just add a note. I dont know why, but I have had situations where music was copied/transferred to MP3 & while the info shows it is an MP3, it would not play in an MP3 player. I am assuming it was the software that was used to convert it to MP3.
I dont know how fast CD players will disappear but your dealer is correct, they are fading out. Just as 8 track, gave way to cassettes, cassettes to CDs, digital music like MP3s are now the new format.

Old 05-03-18, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the input. Do you think it would be better for me to invest in an MP3 player than to mess with flash drives?

Old 05-03-18, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
If you have a smartphone, you can use that to connect thru bluetooth.

Old 05-03-18, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 198 Votes on 183 Posts
I would put your music onto an MP3. It should give you a more options for finding particular songs and artists.

Old 05-03-18, 01:54 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Can I burn a CD onto a flash drive, and play it through the USB port in the car?
Yes. Term is "ripping".
Average 32 Gig usb drive will hold a few hundred albums.
The USB drive may have to be formatted to FAT or FAT32 for the car to read it.

Windows Media Player comes standard on most windowws computers, it allows you to "rip" the music to a folder on the computer hard drive. Alternate is VLC Player.
Generally, you'll "rip" the music CD to a bunch of MP3 files on the computer, then copy the entire MP3 folder to the USB drive.

Depending on the car, sometimes you can just copy the entire "my music" folder onto USB, you'll get one-folder-per-album or one-folder-per-artist "while other cars will want ALL of the songs copied to the root of the drive.

Last edited by Hal_S; 05-03-18 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 02:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 4 Posts
You need to find out if the radio you have is also an MP3 player. If so, I'd rather have a USB drive than trying to use any other source. If the radio you have is an MP3 player & has a USB port that's the best way to go. No need to buy any other MP3 player.

If it is not an MP3 player, then the option is open for your personal preference. If you prefer your CDs, just buy an aftermarket, add on CD player.

Old 05-03-18, 04:18 PM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
I just copied all my music (file copy and past) from computer to flash drive. Rip the music to computer first then copy to flash drive.

Old 05-03-18, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I burned many CDs to MP3. You just gotta have the software to do it.
Windows music player (Groove Music?) will start to rip a cd as soon as you put a disk in the drive.

Old 05-04-18, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
I use the usb way on both my wrecker and my Toy truck. After our favorite radio station's programming went down the toilet [bought out by "I ----- Radio"], I now switch to MP3 after the morning drive-time show.

I use the mini thumb drives on both, they basically sit flush with the radio front so no worries about accidentally whacking it and breaking it off.

Old 05-04-18, 07:21 AM
I call it "I Hate Radio", and pay the money for Sirius...

Old 05-04-18, 07:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
My jeep came with sirius free for the first year and while I liked it, I don't spend enough time in my jeep for it to be worth paying for.

Old 05-04-18, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Amen, Louuuuu. Unless you like hearing Phil Collins at least once per hour 24/7. He must own the Corporation.

Old 05-04-18, 12:41 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Quick note - seems like the 2018 Jeeps also take SD cards.
I like them because 1) they sit flush in the stereo (my aftermarket stereo has a flap that closes over the SD slot, 2) you can lock the SD card which prevents the stereo from writing "ghost copies" of songs (occasionally, you'll get copies of songs showing up). Prices for USB drives and SD/micro SD cards are fairly close.
I use a micro-sd with adapter, that way I can slide the micro-card full of music out and pop it into the tablet to continue listening. You'll generally want to format the SD card to fat32, but some stereos will read exFAT. You'll have to read the manual.

Old 05-07-18, 07:09 AM
Smile

"Read the manual"? It's like those "Help" pages on websites that don't actually help... At least y'all speak my version of English.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.