Subwoofer volume issue

Old 06-12-18, 02:37 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Subwoofer volume issue

I have an older Polk subwoofer, issue is the volume control is a knob, but works like a toggle now. It is either off or if I turn it up a little it is full blast and shakes pictures of the wall.. Does anyone know if this an easy fix or not??

Thanks!

Old 06-12-18, 04:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 973 Votes on 894 Posts
It might be as simple as a bad rheostat. You might get lucky spraying it with contact cleaner but a replacement should only be a few dollars. First step is to open it up and try to see if there are any numbers on it or if it can be identified.

Old 06-13-18, 04:28 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have a polk sub with a vol knob. I'm not going to take mine apart, but the Infinity sub I had before that had all knobs and components sealed inside. I had a knob issue on that, and was unable to use any contact cleaner or replace it. I put an ad on a FB local swap and sell site and someone bought it for $20. They said they would prob find an amp panel of similar size and rig it to work. I paid a lot for it back then, but I guess it lasted 15 years.

Old 06-14-18, 06:26 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Most potentiometers & sliders will get scratchy & cut out if not moved for years. Sometimes just tediously rotating it dozens of times will clear it up enough to use. 40 years ago when I repaired stereo gear you could get an adapter that screwed onto the end of the control mounting shaft, then cleaner spray could be forced past the shaft & inside. I don't know if these are still available & I always found a way to get spray into them from the back.

Old 06-14-18, 06:30 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
"Deoxit" makes the best line of cleaners.

Old 06-14-18, 01:01 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Great advice! - thanks! Will try the cleaner first since that is the easiest.... will be sad to see this sub go, been great for 10+ years...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: