TV (new smart) audio output to stereo receiver?

Old 06-20-18, 07:11 AM
Question TV (new smart) audio output to stereo receiver?

Trying to get audio output from my Visio E370 VA tv to my TEAC AG 790 stereo receiver to make use of its speakers

Instructions I received were to use an optical SPDIF cable from that connection to the receiver input. Receiver only has RCA type connections at the AUX and other ports

Will this require some type of converter to use from the optical/digital SPDIF signal to the analog? inputs on the stereo receiver?

Very confused so far, any help appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-18, 08:30 AM
Upvotes Received: 67
Your connecting new to old tech,

Optical is out but you can get HDMI to RCA connectors but not sure what the quality of signal will be.

Might be time to upgrade to newer receiver with surround.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Candle2...mi+to+rca+plug

Old 06-20-18, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, optical isn't out completely. They make converters that will change optical to RCA... Cheaper ones have a problem sometimes with syncing the sound to the picture, better ones work pretty well. I have one right now that I need to remove since I got a new set and the sound is surprisingly acceptable w/o using an external system. But then we don't game or watch a bunch of shoot 'em ups either.

Old 06-20-18, 02:35 PM
thanks appreciate the help and response

Old 06-20-18, 03:17 PM
Upvotes Received: 11
I also have a Vizio Smart TV (E390i) that I have connected to my older stereo (stereo only has RCA phono jack connectors). Your Vizio TV should have analog audio output jacks (white & red RCA jacks) located underneath the SPDIF jack. Connect a pair of RCA phono cables from the two audio output jacks to an input on your stereo. You should have the option in the TV setup menu to select whether your audio output level is controlled by the TV volume control, or remains at a constant (max) level.

Old 06-21-18, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator
Well yeah. I didn't look at the TV specifically, but the manual says you should have analog outputs right above the optical. Unfortunately, manuals aren't as accurate as the once were and are rarely single model specific. Things get changed all the time in actual production and the manuals don't always keep up.

If you have RCA jacks, use 'em. If not you may need a converter. Or who knows...it could be like mine. I have 2 -1/8" jacks (like mini-headphones or what cell phones use) that are the component and composite outputs. They use little adapert cables that have multi contact plugs and breakout into regular RCA jack. Unfortunately, I bought a refurb unit to save $150 and they were missing. Waiting to hear back if they are going to send me a set or if I have to try and find the ones I need.

So look carefully at what you actually have and don't always trust what you read in the manual. According to the specs (not the illustration)...yours has an optical and a 3.5mm (1/8") audio output. If that's true...you would need a stereo mini plug that breaks out to two RCA jacks...just like me. Something similar to this... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Importer5...&wl13=&veh=sem or this https://www.showmecables.com/3-5mm-s...iABEgIsM_D_BwE