What will happen? Antenna question

Old 07-29-18, 08:16 AM
What will happen? Antenna question

If you disconnected the cable line to the house (that feeds the TV's from the main cable box and attached it to an antenna affixed to the house.....what would happen? Would the TV's pick up whatever signal/programing that the antenna would be receiving?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-18, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Would the TV's pick up whatever signal/programing that the antenna would be receiving?
Yes..... sort of.

The antenna signal would now be on the coax line. You would need to remove any cable boxes as they can't process that antenna signal. The antenna signal needs to go directly to the TV.

Old 07-29-18, 11:15 AM
But most likely the box is needed to unscramble the cable signal.

Old 07-29-18, 12:23 PM
To Pete

Norm: Lady next door has had an antenna for years connected direct to a coax line to two TV. she has never had cable TV. That being said I am not sure what box you might be referring too.

To Pete: Thanks, I just kind of thought that using the cable lines in the house that the one going outside instead of going to a cable box would get attached to the antenna.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Old 07-29-18, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Norm thought you were still using cable with your question.

When you have cable...... the cable company delivers a nice strong signal to your home. It's designed to pass thru splitters and arrive at multiple TV's with satisfactory performance.

Depending on your location and the amount of TV's..... there may be too much loss in your existing cabling if it goes to many different locations in the home. The over the air signal is not very strong. A single antenna works well with a single TV. It may also work well with a single splitter to two TV's. Much of the time it's a trial and error thing.

I'm in a prime reception area from NY city. However, there is a mountain directly between me and the city. I get little to nothing off my large rooftop antenna.

Old 07-29-18, 01:51 PM
The small cable box that sits on or near your TV will not unscramble channels that come over the air via antenna. Yes, you need to unhook it and connect the cable from the wall directly to the TV set.

You may find a booster amplifier (to be connected somewhere between the antenna and the TV set) to be helpful. The best location is close to the antenna. This, too, is trial and error and depends on whether the signals are much too weak.

You may need to make a menu selection on the TV, namely select "antenna" or "over the air" as opposed to "cable" or "CATV".

Can't be a prime reception area if you don't receive the signals using your antenna.

Old 07-29-18, 03:56 PM
Norm thought you were still using cable with your question.
Correct you are! ____________________________________

Old 07-29-18, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
As mentioned, it will depend on how many times the cable is split. An unused ports should be capped off and splitters should be of good quality (not 99 cent bargain bin) I use a rooftop antenna and run 3 TV's off of it. I also have a booster between the antenna and the first splitter. I live about 40 miles from the local transmitters.