Satellite/local antenna

Old 05-19-01, 12:15 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

We just had a satellite dish put up recently and the installer attached a Terk TV42 antenna for local stations.

It works fairly well; the installer was impressed with the reception. One channel has poor reception and a few we hardly watch have image problems.

I contacted the company by phone and through their web site and they suggested the TV50 Indoor/Outdoor antenna for better reception.

I thought this would be an easy, guy-type job, but so far, the ones I've asked know as much as I do.

I called the Satellite Company to have the installer call me so I can try to figure out how he hooked things up, but have not heard anything to date.

An addendum to the TV50 owner's manual the company emailed me to set up both receivers shows one splitter with four separate diplexers.

The TV50 Indoor antenna connects by cable to the top of a 1-2 splitter.
A cable from the left bottom of the splitter connects to the top of a diplexer connector marked SAT.
A cable from the Satellite Dish connects to the top of the same diplexer marked ANT.
The bottom of this diplexer has a SAT/ANT that connects by cable to the top of another SAT/ANT diplexer. The two bottom SAT and ANT connectors appear to go to the TV and receiver box.

If these connections are correct I can hook-up one TV. The second TV should follow suit, however, somewhere along the way I run out of cables to connect to.

The diagram shows two satellite cables coming into the house, each connecting to one of the diplexers. I can find only one black (satellite cable?) coming in through the side of the wall below the dish. This cable is connected to a cable that leads to a bedroom TV.

There is another black cable connected to the top of a 1-4 splitter that looks like it is connected to the old antenna (an outside antenna installed inside attic).

There is a cable connected to the bottom right side of the 1-4 splitter and it leads to the 2nd TV.

The installer could not get through the attic to fish cable to the 2nd TV so he ran a white cable along the outside roof edge to the back wall connecting to an inside wall plate.

A black cable connects from the wall plate to the top SAT/TV connector on a diplexer from the TV42.
A black cable in connected to the bottom of the same diplexer SAT connector and goes to the receiver box marked SAT IN, a white cable connects from the diplexer ANT and goes to the receiver box marked IN FROM ATENNA.

Is the cable from the wall plate to the diplexer the satellite cable and, is it the same cable connected to the 1-4 splitter in the attic that leads to the TV? If so and I connect it to the SAT/TV on the diplexer, as shown in the diagram, the cable from the TV50 antenna will connect to the SAT on the diplexer but I don't have any satellite cable to connect to the ANT as shown in the diagram. HELP!

The TV's were working off the old outside in the attic antenna hook-up. I think the installer used the cables from the old setup

Old 05-21-01, 12:38 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Due to complexity of this situation, this problem is being handled by personal email between the poster and myself. Do not bother to add any further posts to this thread.

Smokey

Old 05-22-01, 10:06 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Satellite/Antenna Hook Up

First, the difference between a TV46 and a TV50 is signal gain. The TV46 will pick up fairly well within a 46 mile range and the TV50 will do about 50 miles. Not much there. Once the antenna is mounted (and I assume it will be in the same location as the other one) the hook up can begin.

The first connections are to the outside diplexer. A diplexer is a device to mix the signals from two different sources, combine them, and move them on using a single cable. Again, you have two diplexers: one for outside use and one for inside use. Do not get them confused.

There are two inputs on the outside diplexer: SAT and ANT. It says to connect the TV50 using a length of RG-6 coaxial cable. This cable is a low-loss coaxial cable approximately 3/8" in diameter.
Connect one end of the cable to the antenna and connect the other end of the cable to the diplexer
ANT input. It says to connect the LNB next. The LNB is the Low Noise B Amplfier on the satellite
dish. You should have a similar piece of coaxial cable running from the satellite dish and it is connected to the diplexer SAT input .

Got that? Now the two sources are connected to the diplexer (signal mixer).

On the outside diplexer, there is a third connector labeled SAT/TV. This is output of the diplexer and contains the complex signal of the two sources. A coaxial cable runs from this connection, into the house, and connects to the INSIDE DIPLEXER at a connector labeled TV/SAT.

The INSIDE DIPLEXER works in reverse of the other one you have OUTSIDE. This one receives the mixed signal of the TV Antenna and the Satellite Dish and separates them back into single entities.

The INDOOR DIPLEXER has two remaining connections labeled SAT and ANT. These are signal outputs. One contains satellite information and the other TV Antenna information.
Connect a cable from the INDOOR DIPLEXER "SAT" connector to the Satellite Receiver connector
marked "SAT IN". Connect a cable from the INDOOR DIPLEXER "ANT" connector to the Satellite
Receiver "ANT IN" connection.

Okay, everything is hooked to the Satellite Receiver. There is one connection left. On the
Satellite Receiver, this a connector labeled "OUT TO TV". Connect a cable from the Satellite
Receiver "OUT TO TV" to your television set antenna connection on the rear of the set.

Okay, that connects up the system. Turn everything on and it should work. The Satellite Receiver
remote should switch back and forth between local stations received on your TV antenna or from the Satellite Dish.

About the only thing that may require adjustment is the position of the TV Antenna. Have someone
watch the TV on one of your local channels and have someone outside turn the antenna back and forth until the best picture is achieved. Check all local channels to make sure the position is correct for all of them.

Now, what part of this did you not comprehend? Is there more to this? Perhaps another set involved?

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: