Help connecting Samsung Smartview (on phone/tablet) to LG tv...

Old 09-14-18, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help connecting Samsung Smartview (on phone/tablet) to LG tv...

I have a Samsung phone and tablet that have Smartview and an LG TV with Smartshare. When I try to connect them, my phone and tablet do not see my TV. All devices are on the same network (Cox). Cox phone support cannot help; all they ever know to do is reset the modem/router. I can't even watch the network channels on the internet on my TV (yes, I do have cable for those networks). Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-18, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
I don't believe the 2 apps are compatible. They do the same thing, yes, but not in the same way. They want you to use an LG device with an LG TV and vice versa for Samsung. There should be 3rd party apps that will allow cross brand viewing. I have a similar issue with a Samsung TV and an LG phone and Amazon tablet. Her Samsung phone connects fine...but I need to do a little research and download the correct app for my devices.

Cox could care less, but you might make a call to LG Customer Service for a definitive answer. The rep may even be honest and instead of "You can't do it" may say, "You'll need a 3rd party app, but we can't really help beyond that".

Sorry I can't be more helpful...I just haven't followed through on my own issue yet.

Old 09-14-18, 02:27 PM
Thanks, thanks, thanks! (has to use 25 characters lol)

Old 09-14-18, 06:48 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
IIRC the general industry standard is called 'mira cast"
and then each maker has their own implimentationm e.g. Chrome Cast, SmartView.

Is the TV connection wired/WIFI or MOCA (internet over coax)?

Old 09-14-18, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hal_S View Post
IIRC the general industry standard is called 'mira cast"
and then each maker has their own implimentationm e.g. Chrome Cast, SmartView.

Is the TV connection wired/WIFI or MOCA (internet over coax)?
It's a Wifi connection...

Old 09-15-18, 06:06 AM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Ah, this might be part of the answer -

Seems like LG "Smart Share" and Samsung Smartview are for playing back existing media files, not streaming live. There are some "screen mirror" functions for samsung (IIRC, 3 finger swipe down was the samsung phone comment to mirror the screen)

Generally the lowest level of "Miracast-compatibility" will let you send media files to a smart tv.
You click a video file (ripped DVD MPG or a downloaded MP4), select "cast to" and "send" the file to the TV to play. After that, the TV controls playback, not the phone or computer. This lowest level of compatibility should be on new smartphones and is included in Windows 10 PCs, but it only works for existing video files, not DVDs and not streaming.

Streaming LIVE TV is usually more restricted, for the simple reason that the cable company is in the business of renting cable boxes, so if people stream using a phone, thats another cable box they're not making money on.

There may be a hardware solution, a "MHL adapter" which allows a smart phone to output HD video over micro usb, which is converted to a HDMI signal with HD video and sound. I used those for years with the basic Verizon app which allowed you to watch TV on a smart phone, but I suspect that Verizon realized that allowing people to use a smartphone as a free wireless HD cable box, kinda cut into their sales of HD cable boxes.

Old 09-15-18, 07:30 AM
Great info, thanks again!

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-15-18 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Quote removed