Why XR12 has low microphone volume from output Main L&R Jacks?

Old 11-16-18, 05:51 AM
Why XR12 has low microphone volume from output Main L&R Jacks?

Receiver: Sony STRDH590
Floor Speaker: Pok Audio T50
Mixer: Behringer X Air XR12
Mic: Behringer Ultravoice Xm8500 Vocal Microphone

In summary, the microphone volume from output Main L&R Jacks of XR12 is extreme low but the background music sounds normal.
However, if we use the headphone jack output of the XR12 and connect it directly to Logitech surround speaker system(powered), the both the volume level of background music and microphone volume is normal.

Here is the my current setup.

My media box outputs audio(background music) to the XR12 through Input 5&6.
The microphone connects to Input 1(Combo jack) of XR12.
XR12 connects to Sony receiver through the Main L&R by a Dual Female XLR to RCA Cable, the RCA cable connects to the receiver through Audio input SA-CD/CD.
The receiver uses the SA-CD/CD as the audio input source.
The front speaker(Pok Audio T50) connects to the receiver through the Speaker front L&R connectors.

Question> What should I do to fix the low microphone volume issues?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-18, 06:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My first thought:
There should be a "Mic Input". I don't see one on that mixer. In my experience, a mic input is different from an audio input. So, my question is, since there isnt a "mic input" option, have you tried another input? I see you have 4 XLR inputs & 8 1/4" inputs with # 7 & 8 having a "HI-Z" indication on those.
I am assuming the "Main L & R" XLR & 1/4" are outputs to the speakers.
I don't know what your using this system for, so I have to ask, is this mixer supposed to take a mic?
My confusion is (again, I don't know what you're using this for) is that there are no individual gains (ways to raise or lower the volume for each output). So, there is no way to control the output volume of each output, which may be why one output (the music) is higher than the mic. The music source may have a different input level than the mic, so you're not going to have the same out put level. If this mixer isn't designed to take a mic, its probably not performing correctly.

Chances are, the music source is powered & has some sort of amplifier. I'll bet you mic is plugged in directly to this mixer & isn't amplified. That is another reason your mic is not as loud.

Again, I think I'd start by trying each input with the mic.

On a note. You can insert a 1/4" mic in an XLR connection but you cant (obviously) put an XLR in a 1/4" connection. So, if your mic cord is only has XLR end on it, it will only connect to an XLR connection (1 - 4 inputs). If your mic has a 1/4" connection, you can try all inputs 1 - 12, plus the 1/4" aux inputs under the Main L & R.

Old 11-16-18, 06:33 AM
So the mix at the Headphone output is correct but doesn't match the Main output?

I'm not familiar with any of your gear but that doesn't make sense unless the mixer can be intentionally configured that way. Normally the headphone output IS the main output but with the addition of a small amp to drive the lower impedance of the 'phones.

Old 11-16-18, 07:12 AM
I am using this setup for karaoke.

The mixer is controlled through my PC and all settings are digital. Yes, the mixer can take multiple mic inputs.

If we use the headset output of the mixer and connect it to a power speaker, everything works as expect.

The issue is that we can use the standard Main L&R output and connect them to a receiver and the receiver sends signal to two floor speaker(non-power). The background music sounds normal, just the volume of the mic is too low.

Thank you

https://media.music-group.com/media/...eries_M_EN.pdf

Old 11-16-18, 08:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is one area that I do have some experience although, I wouldnt say I'm a pro with audio equipment, nor am I familiar with ALL audio equipment.

A little background on my experience:
I started in live radio in 1982 for a few years.
In 1987, I started working a club (DJing) for a few more years.
In 2002, I started my mobile DJ business (weddings, birthdays, reunions, holiday events etc, etc) & have been doing this for almost 17 years now. So, I do have some background in mobile DJ, its equipment & how it works. Again, I am a Pro DJ on the weekends, but I am not what I consider a pro audio equipment guy.

Personally, what I am getting from you, in my opinion, you dont have your equipment set up in the correct order, nor do I believe that you have the correct equipment for your purpose. Just my opinion based on what I understand in your post.

I am assuming your saying that the mixer software that you are using controls all the volume etc for each channel on your mixer. So your controlling the volume through the software on your computer. Again, yes it can be done that way but for me, I think your going all the way around the world just to get across the street. Again, in my opinion, I think you have the wrong mixer for your application (Karaoke), but if this is what you prefer its your personal choice.

1st, your headphone output is for headphones, not your channel output, although, true, you can do that, but its not the way its designed to work.

Again, Just because the 1/4" jack from your mic will fit, doesn't mean that the mixer is designed for a mic. The reason its different is because, starting at the female input, its wired to different components inside the mixer for a non-powered mic to work. Music or your standard inputs are wired to different components within the mixer because they are expected to be powered. A mic input is required for a mic... not audio. And standard audio (music) inputs are designed for audio/music, not a mic. That's why the inputs are labeled. Input here.... mic here. So again, my question is, is the mixer designed to have mic inputs? if it is, I don't see them.

The left & right mains are where your supposed to connect your powered speakers or amp.
(For those who aren't familiar with "powered" speakers. You have two types of speakers.. Powered, which has an amplifier built into them already from the factory & Passive, which has no amp & you need a stand alone or separate amp to drive the sound.)
This is part of your problem as well. Your trying to drive your sound with no amplifier. You said you have non powered (passive) speakers on the floor. You need an amp to drive the sound. Now, again, yes it will work, but as you see, you have issues. You can get sound, but it's not amplified. Example; I can stand on the street corner & talk all day. It works but not loud. If I get a megaphone (amplified) now I can stand on the street corner & its louder. It works but it doesn't serve my purpose. It will work but it dont work right.
The reason your music is louder (currently) than your mic is because your computer has a sound card in it which boosts your audio. I am assuming that your music is stored either on your computers drive or an external drive connected to your computer. Your mic is not going through your computer, its plugged right into the front of the mixer... no amplification.

Last edited by Dixie2012; 11-16-18 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-16-18, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
I didn't see much in the manual about the headphones. It does mention headphones and monitoring together which leads me to believe that you can set up PRE or POST monitoring which will also affect what you hear in the headphones. That may be why the music and mic levels aren't equal although the mic channels need to be set properly in the input section first.

Channels 1-4 are combination XLR/TRS connectors and are line/mic compatible. Inside the program there is a way to set up gain settings for each of those four channels.

Section 5.2 - Input
The input section allows adjustment of the most common preamp parameters such as gain and phantom power. This is accessed by pressing the top of the Channel Strip of the channel you wish to modify.

Name:  x.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  28.3 KB