DVD player to older theater system

Old 02-16-19, 10:24 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
DVD player to older theater system

I have SONY entertainment theater system model DAV-HDX500 (bought in 2007). It has a 5 disc changer in it. Recently the audio cut out, but only for the DVD player. The audio still comes through for the AM, FM, VCR, and STB. I also get a picture from the DVD but no sound.

I took apart the whole system (wiring between items) and spent most of the day troubleshooting. I finally got the system back to working order except for the DVD audio. My conclusion is that the DVD audio is separate to the DVD player and is broken.

Rather than screw around any more the Missus say's let's go buy a new entertainment system. OK. But I now find out these types of systems are no longer made with DVD players installed. Sooooo, I said we'll buy a new receiver and use the existing speakers (5.2 surround system). No can do. I was in formed by a knowledgeable clerk at BestBuy that it's not that simple. Even if I was to clip off the special speaker clips and connect to new, I may blow out the speakers or the receiver.

Then it dawned on me, why not just buy a new DVD player! Problem solved, almost. The new SONY DVD (model BDPS3700) can only connect to the TV (via HDMI), bypassing my surround sound system. So now I have to switch sound from theater system to TV each time I use the DVD and back again for the TV.

Personally I could care less for the 5 speaker surround system, but the wife wants it.

So after all this rambling here's my question. Is there any way I can put the stand alone DVD player through the sound system?

Hers what I have

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
DAVHDX500_connection.pdf (206.0 KB, 222 views)
Old 02-16-19, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
How is your set top box connected ? Directly IN via HDMI to the TV ?
Do you have the TV audio coming thru the sound system ?

Name:  rcvr.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  59.5 KB

Old 02-16-19, 11:12 AM
Stand by. I'm going to try and map this out wire by wire. Damn confusing if it's not in front of me.

Old 02-16-19, 11:54 AM
The cable from outside goes into my STB.
From the STB I have an HDMI cable going to the TV. (HDMI 1 on TV source)
From the Sony theater system I have an Optical Cable to the TV.
I have RGB from the theater system to the TV (this comes up as component source on the TV ) and was used as the source for the 5 CD-DVD changer in the theater system.
All the other wires are for the speaker connections.
Now in addition I have a HDMI from the new Blu-ray DVD to the TV.
The new Blu-ray does have an Optical coaxial cable output and my theater system has one labeled digital in.But I believe that is for video only?

Old 02-16-19, 12:04 PM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
You can get a converter box that takes HDMI IN, passes through HDMI OUT, and gives you 5.1 surround sound OUT via SPDIF/optical or RCA plugs.

Old 02-16-19, 12:10 PM
Hal,

I'm confused. So you're saying I take the HDMI from the Blu-ray, slip that into the converter box and that in turn goes to SPDIF/optical or RCA plugs which I have?

edit...Is this what you mean

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Ama...47041769&psc=1

Old 02-16-19, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
Right now the cable audio is carried into the TV via the HDMI cable.
Is the DVD player plugged into the TV and do you hear its audio from the TV ?

Skip this for now.
The optical cable is digital audio. You can put the optical out from the DVD player to optical in on the Sony. This will give you the DVD audio thru the system.

Old 02-16-19, 12:24 PM
H
Originally Posted by Norm201
So you're saying I take the HDMI from the Blu-ray, slip that into the converter box and that in turn goes to SPDIF/optical or RCA plugs which I have?
Yep, two parallel paths for sound

Basic Sound
HDMI from Blueray TO box, HDMI from box TO TV.
5.1 Sound
HDMI from Blueray TO box, SPDIF/Optical/RCA cables from box TO home theater.

https://www.amazon.com/Proster-Extra...ds=HDMI+to+5.1

The new Blu-ray does have an Optical coaxial cable output and my theater system has one labeled digital in.But I believe that is for video only?
Well, looks like you might not need a splitter, seems like the the SPDIF/Optical output is automatically associated with TV, and the system defaults back to analog when the digital signal is missing

So, the system SHOULD switch to BlueRay digital audio when playing a movie, then switch back when playing music.

Originally Posted by https://www.manualslib.com/manual/160149/Sony-Dav-Hdx500.html?page=35&term=optical&selected=7
If you connect a digital satellite receiver with a DIGITAL OUT (COAXIAL
or OPTICAL) jack
A digital satellite receiver can be connected to the SAT/CABLE (DIGITAL IN COAXIAL or
OPTICAL) jack instead of the SAT/CABLE (AUDIO IN) jacks of the unit.
To connect, use a digital coaxial cord (not supplied) for the DIGITAL IN COAXIAL jack or digital optical cord (not supplied) for the DIGITAL IN OPTICAL jack.
The system can accept both digital and analog signals. Digital signals have priority over analog signals. (COAXIAL has priority over OPTICAL.) If the digital signal ceases, the analog signal will be processed after 2 seconds

Old 02-16-19, 12:29 PM
Guy's thanks,

PJ, Yes to your 1st question.

Hal, this looks like a solution. So on the back of the Blu-ray I only need the HDMI. That coaxial is of no value to me.

I still have the option to return the Blu-ray to Walmart and exchange up to a better unit that might have the radio built-in. I'll need to check it out. I don't mind spending upwards of $75 to $100 if it will do what I need.

Old 02-16-19, 12:32 PM
Group Moderator
I'm thinking if you have audio on the TV from cable and the DVD..... that both may appear on the Digital out link from the TV to to the receiver. You'd have to put the receiver in SAT/cable to hear the audio from the TV.

Old 02-16-19, 12:38 PM
Hal,

Look at this. Will this do it for me instead of buying the converter box?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-BDPS...able/138171520

Old 02-16-19, 12:54 PM
PJ, good thought but no it does not work. I continue to get the cable box sound of whatever channel It's tuned to and no sound from the DVD.

Old 02-16-19, 01:37 PM
I want to thank both you guys for the help. With your instructions I realized the unit I have does in fact have Optical coaxial cable (orange) on the DVD and on my theater unit. Just need to buy the cable.

Old 02-16-19, 01:54 PM
H
The unit I have does in fact have Optical coaxial cable (orange) on the DVD
The orange "digital cable" is just digital over a RCA cable. You just want a short, good quality RCA cable and it should work fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: