old pioneer dual cassette deck not working

Old 03-31-19, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old pioneer dual cassette deck not working

I have a pioneer ct-w355r dual cassette deck. I estimate from late 80's or early 90's. Haven't used in years (10-15) and remember issues with one deck initially back then, maybe both? I had some cassettes that I wanted to listen to so starting taking apart to see if anything easily dealt with. Symptoms on deck 1 is that the heads are always up so cannot insert a cassette. you can push them down, but they don't stay down. also, there is something clicking constantly-about every second. a plastic piece near what looks like electromagnet (windings with 2 wires going to it) moves back and forth. when it is in one position the motor turns, then when it goes to other position motor stops. strangely, the motor on deck 2 spins at opposite times, even though the electromagnet near it doesn't move. all drive belts are rotted away and gummed up on pulleys on both decks. the right deck 2 did nothing. I noticed that if I pushed down the heads on deck 1, the clicking stopped and motors wouldn't spin. then when hit play on deck 2 with deck 1 heads pushed down, the motor on deck 2 spins for several seconds then stops. it also has no drive belts. so any source for these belts? I found the numbers but was like $7 each and there are 2 or 3 for each deck. Since I don't even know if replacing them will do anything i am hesitant to buy at that price. thoughts on the electromagnet that keeps clicking along with the heads always staying up? I wonder if I disconnect that deck maybe I can get other working at least?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-19, 09:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
It's been a while since I've worked on one of them but the head transports are motor driven so you'll need to have belts on it to work on it. In checking around I found an ebay seller selling the belt kit at a decent price..... Pioneer belt kit

At one time I had all the belts. I had just about every size available. When I was servicing electronic equipment I'd pay $.20-.30 a belt. Those days are pretty much gone.

Old 04-01-19, 05:40 AM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
On some cassette decks the motor will stop after a few seconds if the reel spindles are not rotating. This is to prevent tape from balling up and accumulating in the mechanism in case of a mechanical failure or some kinds of tape breakage. On some other decks the stop button is activated automatically after a few seconds if the reel spindles are not rotating. The clicking you hear may be part of the latter mechanism not working properly. In turn the motor rotation acting through (good) belts might be needed to complete the stop action.

Old 04-01-19, 08:54 AM
yeh, PJmaxx, I had seen that on ebay. also found some individual for $7. Was more than I wanted to spend given that I don't know if anything else wrong, but what I'm hearing is that I have to replace belts first to diagnose. Perhaps that is all that is needed?

Old 04-01-19, 10:57 AM
can someone verify I have right belts?

Deck I REB1158 (FR) REB1160 (Main)
Deck II REB1158 (FR) REB1159 (Main)
counter REB1152

Old 04-02-19, 06:34 PM
I'm waiting for the seller to get back to me. I think the set he is selling has 2 belts of one size, two of another, and then another single belt. I think counter belt is the single belt, the 2 forward reverse are same, but the 2 main are different-by the above numbers I got from parts manual. looking at it and the unit, the 2 decks are not same. deck I does not have a pulley that deck II has so I can't see how those 2 main belts could be same? there is no belt routing diagram. it is PDF file. can anyone help with with routing? not sure how to add a PDF, if possible?

Old 04-02-19, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
I have no way of verifying them now. All my belt books are gone.

You can load a pdf file.... just like a picture.... follow this.... How-to-insert-pictures.
If the file is too big I'll convert it to a picture for you and post it.

Old 04-03-19, 08:05 AM
converted to jpg. attached relavent files. So my deck is CT-W355R. Can you verify I got right belts and help with routing? notice deck I doesn't have as many pulleys as deck II. I think it only plays one direction and there is no capstan on the left side of deck I.

Attached Images     
Old 04-03-19, 08:18 AM
in previous post you said that tape transport motor driven so need belts to work on them. Just wanted to mention that both decks don't have belts and the pinch rollers are down on deck II, but deck I they are up and can't insert tape, as I mentioned earlier. Does this mean anything? Like deck I not working NOT simply due to no belts?

Old 04-03-19, 10:25 AM
so here is my thoughts on routing, given the plane that the pulley lie in. the topmost circle is "pulley", the small left black circle is motor pulley. the right flywheel has slots for 2 belts. deck I does not have left flywheel so the main belt just go around right flywheel I guess?

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-19, 04:19 PM
Hey PJmax, any thoughts on my belt #s and routing based on my attached files? haven't heard back from that ebay seller so wrote back as he was away when wrote before.