Samsung "smart" TV.

Old 06-03-19, 04:50 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Samsung "smart" TV.

Back in 2013 I bought a new Samsung "smart" TV. Two days ago I did something, I have no idea of what, but the stupid thing has not lost the ability to tune into any television programming. I read a bit of something that mentions needing to get a new remote control to regain control but that no sense to me. Nor can I watch from any other video source like VHS or DVD. I would just buy a new remote if I thought it would actually work. By the way, none of the other program sources can be accessed either. I only have an antenna to use and it has worked very well these last several years if you overlook the really cheesey content.

Anyway, I decided to call 1-800-Samsung and see if I could get them to fix it. The guy went through a bunch of tech step but still deader than a door nail. I'll add that This has been working on just an 0ver-the-air antenna these last several years so why has it crapped out now? The tech though it was a DOA tuner section but why did it die?

I also read that you can use a "smart" phone as a substitute control but just HOW do you do it? My smart phone does NOTHING to give the slightest indication the phone will work the TV.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-19, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
The only way a smartphone will control a TV would be through an app. The TV and phone would need to be connected to the same home network via hard wire (Cat5) or Wifi.

Since you cannot watch other video sources that would rule out a bad tuner since the tuner has nothing to do with watching DVDs.

First off start with the basics, install fresh batteries in the remote. Use your smartphone camera to see if the IR of the remote is flashing a signal to the TV (point the remote at the camera and hit a button. You should see a flash) Move the remote so that it is only a few inches from the tv receiver. Unplug the TV for a while and plug it back in to reboot the tv. (Yes, TVs are like computers now.)

Can the buttons on the TV do anything? Can you access the menu with the remote of the TV buttons?

Old 06-03-19, 08:30 PM
That does make sense that a cell phone would require an "app." It did say in the article the phone would need to connected to the television but it didn't give a clue as to how. I wanted to go out last night and get some new batteries but didn't make it Then I found an eight pack not even opened this morning.

The remote is working in at least some fashion as the various menus and sub-menus are popping up. I had the set unplugged all night so I don't think that will help. I don't know if I can watch other video sources as it doesn't seem to be switching the sources as if nothing is really switching the various inputs or outputs

Old 06-06-19, 09:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Furd, are you having any success in tuning in over-the-air channels yet? I have a couple of smaller Samsung "dumb" TV's, so you might want to try this:

Hit the "menu" button on your remote, then scroll down to the "antenna" submenu.
Scroll over and make sure AIR is selected, rather than CABLE.

If you aren't sure your remote is working, you could always buy a cheapie universal remote, which should give you the basic functions, but many universal remotes may be lacking specialized buttons that are present on the factory remote.

It goes without saying -- check the batteries; even brand new ones can be duds. Make sure both batteries are inserted with the correct polarity. Elementary, I know, but I've inadvertently gotten one battery in backwards, giving me a dead remote! Good luck!

Old 06-06-19, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
IF you can get to the menus then try to find someplace to restore the defaults. That will make it start up fresh like the first time you set it up. See if that will right things.

Old 07-20-19, 10:13 AM
I let it set for a few days and then thought to try my digital-to-analog tuner to see if I could get any OTA programming. Well, yes I could, sometimes. Then I tried to connect my DVD recorder to see if I could at least watch some pre-recorded movies and that also worked. I then tried connecting the antenna to the recorder to see if I could record any OTA programs but that only worked some of the time. I found out that was because the external tuner only had antenna "pass through" when it was powered off.

Anyway, now that I have all the cables and other devices disconnected it seems to work fine except for my outside camera which works fine connected by itself to the AV (composite video) input. I used to have it connected through a converter to an HDMI input but it seems the converter got tired and died.

I have some dicey antenna cables that need replacing and I need to get a different (wider) cart to hold all the silly recorders, switchers and tuners as well as getting a new composite video to HDMI converter but I think everything will be okay,

Old 07-20-19, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Good to hear you got it (sort of) working.