Wall Mount - Outlets in Way

Old 07-10-19, 04:39 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wall Mount - Outlets in Way

Hey all. I would like to mount my TV to my wall, however I have some outlets in the way where the mount would go that I'm not sure how best to work around. I've attached a photo for reference. I was thinking about bolting in a couple of strong pieces of wood to a stud on each side of the outlets and then attaching the mount onto these pieces of wood. The TV and mount would protrude a bit from the wall, but would at least clear the outlets.

The mount I am thinking of using is this one which I've had good success with on another TV.

Appreciate the feedback in advance

Attached Images  
Old 07-10-19, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It looks like all your services are in one stud bay. You should use a recessed wall box. It can go directly behind the TV and as it's recessed.... the fittings won't hit. There are many types of these boxes. The link shows them. The home improvement stores all carry them as well as a amazon.

Recessed boxes for wall mount TV

JBurnaBTNH voted this post useful.
Old 07-10-19, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
IMO, that's as good an idea as any, and its not permanently covering the outlets. A 2x2 on the stud the the left, a 2x2 on the stud to the right... then a 33 1/2" long piece of 3/4 plywood (as wide as you need it to be) lag screwed into that. Your mounting bolts for the bracket will just go into 3/4 plywood so be sure they are not too long and hit any wires behind.

JBurnaBTNH voted this post useful.
Old 07-10-19, 05:11 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gents, thank you both for the quick reply, they were very helpful!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: