TV Viewing Distance vs. TV Size?

Old 08-07-19, 10:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
TV Viewing Distance vs. TV Size?

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a new TV, but I'm not sure what size to get.

It will be in the corner of the room, facing into the room diagonally. We have a sectional sofa in an L configuration, so some of the seating will be about 12' from the screen and some of the seating will be about 18' from the screen. These measurements do take into account how far the TV will stick out from the wall, so the measurement is from the actual TV screen to where a person's actual head would be.

I've seen all the ratios and formulas online, but they all seem to be directed to how close you can sit to a TV. E.g., some of the calculations say that with 4K, it is possible to sit even closer to the TV without seeing pixels. I have just the opposite problem.

What size TV should I get? I know all the calculations say I should be getting like a 110" TV or something insane. I am between a 65" with high end features and a 70" with lower end features. Both are 4k. I have a 5.2.2 setup with my receiver and speakers, so I don't really care about sound issues.

Will either of these two sizes be way too small for the area I have set up? We currently have an old (2006) 42" EDTV, so anything for me will seem like a big improvement (at least at first). Is the difference between 65" and 70" negligible enough where I should just get the better (i.e., 65") TV (which also happens to be cheaper)? I'm worried that whichever one I get will be way too small, but I don't have it in the budget to go bigger. (Looking at LG, so I'm not worried about the quality of the TV itself.)

Any (calming!) thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-19, 12:12 PM
Received 78 Votes on 70 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the calculations, regardless the size you will adapt.

Our great room is 18x20 and max seating is around 17'.

The first TV was a 40" CRT, upgraded to a 42" LED, then up to the current 65" LED and that seems fine.

In the basement, it's approx same area with a 120" projector and we enjoy that but I dont think I would want anything that big for daily use, it's just too much!

Old 08-07-19, 01:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 94 Posts
Also a lot depends on what you are watching. We have a 48" TV in our living rm and it's plenty big enough for most anything we watch, except NASCAR! I have to sit closer to the TV than I'd like in order to make out the leaderboard.

Old 08-07-19, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hmm, if Nascar was on, I'd probably be sitting very far away. Like next room far away, or maybe outside.

Thanks to both of you for the input! Looks like I'll go with the 65" (which is a better model overall), and not worry about the 5" diagonal difference.

Thanks again!

Old 08-07-19, 04:47 PM
Received 78 Votes on 70 Posts
Looking at LG
BTW, we have 5 LG's in the family and they have been flawless!

Old 08-08-19, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
Hmm, if Nascar was on, I'd probably be sitting very far away. Like next room far away, or maybe outside.
Well, I'm not going to help you now....

All right, I will anyway - I would suggest going with the biggest set in your range as you'll get used to it and want bigger as time goes by. Knowing you bought big initially helps you keep from contemplating replacing it.

Old 08-09-19, 04:28 PM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
As best I remember it depends on the manufacturer. IIRC, most claim the ideal viewing distance is 4x the screen size. The Japanese manufacturer I used to work for used 3x as a rule. I never understood the difference (except their TVs had a noticeably lower image quality than the bigger companies back then, so you had to sit closer to see the same level of detail) but if you're talking about a 70" screen, 1x difference is a whole lotta floor space.

Old 08-10-19, 05:35 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Go to a store and stand in front of a TV and watch a show with some fast motion for at least 10 minutes. After you have figured out the best distance away to stand, figure out the equivalent screen size for the same field and angle of view you had at the store but using the sitting distance back at home. (requires some math).

Note: Some people will get nauseous (seasick) if the screen spans too much of the field of view.