OTA antenna set up??

Old 08-14-19, 05:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OTA antenna set up??

I want to do away with my cable bill and satellite bill. I have at the moment a china made UHF antenna that is roof mounted at about 25 feet and it on good days picks up less than 20 channels , but it pixelates on the 3 major networks,
On TV fool I can find the trans ponders and the ones nearest are about 28 Miles away , I live on the plains so mountains and trees or buildings are not a problem.
I want to but a Yagi HD 91x and mount it along with the UHF one I have and point them in 2 different direction.
The old UHF is the type that has a Remote rotor on it and it still works so I would mount it on the top of the mast the Larger Yagi does not. I would have to clamp it in the correct direction.
I would like to know if this is possible to do and if I need a Pre amp for the Yagi, I think the other UHF with remote may have a pre amp built in. If I can use a Pre amp with the Yagi, which one and how would I combine the 2 antennae?
Pictures is of the one I have now, smaller one and the Yagi I intend to buy.
Thank you
Ron

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-19, 05:54 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Before digging too far into design, what is needed, etc, I have to ask...
What amount and type of TV do you or are you looking to watch and how much?

I have on every other weekend, 5 kids under 12 in our house (yes big house). We have not had paid TV in 5 or 6 years ( with the exception of 2 months last year when we had a free promo for fibe-tv which no one watched).

We do a lot of internet based watching when we watch TV.

That being said, there are a few options (free to air and online) that might be easier for you and save a ton of time and money. If this is more for the learning of/how to.... Then get ready for a lot of steep learning.

Old 08-14-19, 06:24 AM
I would like to get all channels that is possible in my area , within reason, but there is only 2 in the house hold, no kids we are over 60 yrs old. I know some about antennas , I know a lot about constructions, electrical, welding , automotive .
I don't know much about finding the towers and what channels are on them , I have used all the online tools to do this like TV fool etc, but its Greek to me.
I don't want to erect a tower of any kind, I live in a one story house and would rather just use a roof mount.
I do know the 2 towers I want to target are both 28 miles away , pretty much line of sight, one in the east and one in the south.
I don't mind buys some materials or antennas and I have all the coax tools and possibly the combiners or diplexers needed. Maybe have an amp. I would like to get the 3 majors without the pixilation's and what ever other HD channels come in.
Ron
Ron

Old 08-14-19, 07:05 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
I will see what I can find for a reasonable solution for you.
The issue I am running into is the information I have and databases of tower frequencies I run are Canadian only, and geared towards 2-way communications rather than TV reception.

I will ask, you do have internet I'm going to assume, would any online streaming through a smart TV satisfy your needs?

Old 08-14-19, 07:32 AM
OK,
I am in Texas USA my lon. -100.21515779999998
lat. 35.1773052

Yes I have internet, I do not care for streaming. Just want to use the free OTA channels I can pick up with an antenna.
Ron

Old 08-14-19, 12:32 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
would just look at the channels available in your area from one of the sites looks like most are probably uhf but maybe 1 vhf cbs channel 8 if you are having issues with getting that channel and is one that pixelates on you, you may want an antenna that targets both vhf and uhf.
since the source is not that far away you would probably do well with just a single larger vhf/uhf antenna but there probably is a way to combine 2 using a combiner splitter.

Old 08-14-19, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Go with an RCA 751 r antenna.

Then get the channel master 777 amp.

you can do a dual set up if you want.

There is a chance the amp will bleach out very close stations but that is not a problem I have ever experienced with the 30 db 777 channel master amp.

My channels are 10 - 40 miles away.

When I was in NJ the NY stations were 50 miles away. Ive been using same set up for years.

Old 08-14-19, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Dennys makes a knock off. I bought the actual RCA 751R.

EZ-HD TV Antenna

https://www.rcaantennas.net/outdoor/?sku=ANT751R

And the amp. Channel master 7777

https://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Ant..._p/cm-7777.htm

But you may want to go with an adjustable gain unit.. choice of 30db or 17db.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Amplif.../cm-7777hd.htm

I never had an over amplification issue. I get about 28 channel here in SC myrtle beach and antenna is in attic.

Old 08-14-19, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator