'Considering a new DVR

Old 08-14-19, 07:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
'Considering a new DVR

I'm thinking about cancelling my Dish TV and moving back to cable. However my Dish package includes a DVR.

I'm totally uneducated about how the cable world works with a DVR. If I buy one at Best Buy, can I record/play back on two TV's? Will I be paying a monthly fee? Anything else to consider?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-19, 12:40 PM
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, I can tell you about Comcast/Xfinity.

If you want to be able to play recorded shows on 2 TVs, you must rent a DVR from Comcast. For the 2nd TV, you will have to rent a small slave box which talks to the master DVR using MOCA over your house's coaxial cable.

The only other option for a 2 TV setup is to buy 2 TiVo DVRs and rent 2 CableCards from Comcast. But with this setup, you can't play a show on DVR #2 that was recorded on DVR #1.

Old 08-14-19, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Yes, I have Xfinity too. There is an extra monthly fee but they supply the DVR's. I'd go that route rather than the other option RjS mentioned.

Old 08-14-19, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
Basically..... all the companies can supply you with a multi room DVR. One caveat is that the recordings on that DVR is their property. You can view it anytime but you can't download or copy it.

Old 08-15-19, 09:52 AM
Thanks for everyone's Two Cents.

Old 08-15-19, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you have a router and a extra computer I would get an HDHomeRun Prime

The setup can be a little complex (it will work fine for channels without DRM AKA copy once flag) which in my area on Charter/Spectrum is only the premiums (HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Etc and some sports channels) you have to rent a cablecard from Comcast for about $2 per card)

I believe Silicon Dust has their own DVR subscription that will allow you to record DRMed channels but I am not 100% sure in that as I don't use that

I have the older 3 tuner HDHR3-CC model which has been discontinued for the newer model (Which has yet to be released) However they are still around to be bought albet at a cost

Old 08-16-19, 09:26 AM
Dude, you totally lost me. But, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Old 08-16-19, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Talking

Sorry about all of the tech talk, I was just putting the option out there even though it takes a while to perfect the setup. Especially with the cable company as they hate CableCards