Is it still possible to use old TVs

Old 01-10-20, 01:39 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is it still possible to use old TVs

I bought an LCD TV 3 years ago to replace an old tube TV whose screen was dying. The LCD TV died right after the warranty expired. I managed to find somebody who could fix it (not easy to find repairmen these days). After 2 more weeks, it died again. I decided I don't want to waste money on another LCD TV, if it'll just die after another 2 years. You can't just put broken things out on the curb anymore. The garbage truck won't take it. So I have been without TV for a year.

I happen to have another old tube TV sitting here collecting dust. I connected it to the cable box, but nothing happens. I just get the gray fuzzy screen which indicates there's no signal. It seems simple enough to hook up, because there are only 2 ports on the TV to connect the RCA cables - Video In and Audio In. So it's not like there are lots of possible combinations as there are on new TVs. I did not even remove the cables from the cable box end, so they are in their correct ports. Can someone explain to me what is the right way to connect old TVs to a cable box, or is it not even possible?

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

01-12-20, 07:03 PM
AllanJ
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Is there a TV/AV button on the remote? In TV (antenna) mode you would get snow on the screen but in AV mode the screen may be blank but should be solid gray or blue or black.

Are there any more Sansui brand 4 digit codes you can plug into the remote and try out? It is possible that the power on and off code matches but some of the other functionality does not work for code 0463.

Old 01-10-20, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
I think the old TVs are supposed to work with a cable box. I have 2 old type TVs. 1 is connected directly to the cable [no box] while the other uses one has rabbit ears and uses one of those $10 digital boxes they sold awhile back. Both work fine.

You might want to check and make sure your TV is set on cable and not antenna.

Old 01-10-20, 01:54 PM
How do you toggle it between cable and antenna? I don't see any button or switch for that. There is no antenna. There's a hole to put an antenna in, but I don't have an antenna.

Old 01-10-20, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't remember for sure there should either be a switch or it could be in the TV's menu.

Old 01-10-20, 02:12 PM
There's no switch anywhere that I can find. There's no menu either. Just Channel 03 and Channel 04. I can't do anything else. Both channels are gray fuzz.

Old 01-10-20, 02:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might want to post the brand and model number of your TV, those smarter than me might know about your particular unit and what needs to be done.

Old 01-10-20, 02:42 PM
It's a Sansui TVM1316A manufactured in April 2001.

Image of same model: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/333329188992

The cable box is a Nextbox DCX3510-M. Specs: Motorola DCX3510-M 500GB...

Old 01-10-20, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Haven't seen that you mentioned using a converter box. I have a tv from about 1998 and that needs a converter box to get a signal at all.

Old 01-10-20, 05:20 PM
It's connected to the cable box. Is a 'converter box' completely different?

Old 01-10-20, 05:33 PM
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
Most Cable boxes have a video out signal on cable, to analog channel 3 or channel 4.
That goes to the standard TV cable in.

Old 01-10-20, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
Audio/Video Outputs: FireWire (IEEE1394), Coaxial F, Component (YPbPr) RCA, Composite Video RCA, Digital Audio Coaxial RCA, Digital Audio Optical TOSLINK, HDMI, Stereo 3D, Stereo Audio L/R RCA, S-Video

I didn't see a coaxial output jack. Sub models of boxes are different.

That TV has front audio/video input jacks. Connect them to the audio/video output of the box.
On the box..... the red and white are audio and the yellow is video.
If your TV only has one audio input on the front use the white and yellow outputs.
Any standard RCA patch cord will work for connections.

Name:  tv.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  36.7 KB

Old 01-10-20, 06:31 PM
That's the way I have it set up. I'm using the existing RCA cable. The green jack is plugged into where it says Video, which is the bottom port on the right. On the TV the green jack is plugged into the Video In port. The red jack is plugged into the Audio In port on the TV and into the red Audio port on the cable box. There's nowhere to plug the blue into the TV since the TV only has 2 ports.

Nothing happens with this configuration. The cable box is on, I use the cable box remote to change channels, nothing happens. Nothing changes on the cable box display or on the TV. The cable box display just displays the time. Changing the channel from 03 to 04 by pressing the channel button on the TV does absolutely nothing. If I'm doing something wrong, I don't know what that is.

The coax from the router goes into the cable box. It doesn't go into the TV.

Old 01-10-20, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
The tuner won't be working. You need to select A/V input on that TV.
It should be on a button on the front of the TV. It is on the remote control also.

If your TV only has 5 buttons.... channel up/down and volume up/down and power..... then you need the remote control.

Old 01-10-20, 06:44 PM
There doesn't appear to be any button like that on the TV. There's a button on the TV's remote that says TV/AV. None of my batteries work even ones that I just opened - turns out there's no point keeping a supply of batteries around in case of an emergency - they die even if you store them in the fridge. I'll see what happens after I buy some new batteries.

Old 01-11-20, 10:15 AM
Received 15 Votes on 12 Posts
It could be what you're needing is a digital converter, known colloquially as a "set top box." I bought a few when over-the-air TV first went to digital-only and used them on old CRT sets (one from the mid-1980s). I'd tell you the brand I was using but I've checked and they're no longer in business.

FWIW you can buy digital TVs from Wally World for under $100 that have astonishing brilliant images. Which makes spending $30 on a set top box seem a waste.

Old 01-11-20, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Fred_C_Dobbs
It could be what you're needing is a digital converter
Once you already HAVE a composite out signal (yellow-video & white/red-stereo audio) you shouldn't need the OTA converter.

Unfortunately many of those age TV's relied on the remote for all the "menu" options, as compared to having a "menu" button on the TV.

Switching the TV to video/in using the remote SHOULD get things working.

Old 01-11-20, 01:22 PM
The remote uses AAA batteries. I tested all my AAA batteries with a Multimeter. The ones I put into the Sansui remote are not dead - I assumed they were dead because nothing happened when I pressed the buttons on that remote. When placed in the multimeter, the multimeter needle swings to the middle, showing there is power in the batteries. I then tested each pair of batteries by putting them into the remote for the broken LCD TV (it powers on, but there's no picture). Since the LCD TV remote turns that TV on and off, the batteries work. This means there's something wrong with the Sansui CRT TV's remote. Nothing happens when I press buttons on it. For example a red light is supposed to come on in the front when you click the power button, but that isn't happening.

So it seems I have 2 TVs to throw out, since I can't do anything with the CRT TV if the remote is broken.

Old 01-11-20, 02:32 PM
So it seems I have 2 TVs to throw out, since I can't do anything with the CRT TV if the remote is broken.
Not so fast.

Most CABLE remotes can ALSO be programmed to control a DVD player/TV/DVR-TiVo.
(there are usually buttons with those names somewhere on the Cable Remote.)

So, the CABLE TV remote SHOULD have an online manual and a SANSUI "code" which would let you control the Sansui TV long enough to set it up.

I had an old Palm-Pilot phone that had an IR port, if you added the "universal remote" app, you could change the TV station or mute the TV in a bar or restaurant...

doublezero voted this post useful.
Old 01-12-20, 03:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can also buy a universal remote and program it to your TV. Our bed rm TV is about 20 yrs old. The remote took a beating as it's prone to get knocked off of the bed. I just recently replaced it as the factory remote was falling apart. The only issue with the new remote is figuring out where the correct buttons are in the dark. I think I paid $10 for the replacement remote.

Old 01-12-20, 06:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 9 Posts
I'm sorry but I've go to ask this (possibly) silly yet important question.

You said that you have been without a TV for a year. Do you even have cable service? I find it interesting that you would pay a cable bill for a year with no TV to watch OR, That you would pay to have cable service turned on (possibly under contract) for a TV that you weren't sure it would work in the first place.
Just for reference, the cable service isnt always just on.

I'm not trying to be rude, but just stating the obvious to help you find an answer to your problem.

On another note, I didn't see where anyone mentioned just getting rabbit ears for your TV. You can get free analog TV over the air.

Shadeladie voted this post useful.
Old 01-12-20, 06:46 AM
Received 56 Votes on 52 Posts
Push the volume up and down buttons at the same time.
That should take you into the menu.
Perhaps you can select AV in the menu

Old 01-12-20, 09:31 AM
Using the antenna, an "old" TV needs the digital TV set top box, once obtainable almost free using a government issued coupon, and technically called an ATSC-NTSC converter.

A small number of not so old TVs that have push button or up/down or remote control tuning have a menu selection for digital/analog/cable and don't need the aforementioned converter.

Do you have any working newer TV to prove whether the problem is in the old TV or is in the cable box (e.g. cable subscription lapsed).?

Old 01-12-20, 01:52 PM
Dixie2012: Yes, I have cable. It's included in the internet/phone package from the cable company. I told them repeatedly I want to cancel cable TV, but they say my monthly bill will go up if I do that. So I still have it. Might as well hook up a TV since I can't cancel the cable.

-------------------
Hal_S: Having some trouble with this... The Nextbox remote manual is here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/18...page=11#manual

The manual keeps talking about a 'combo'. I don't think that applies to me. The Sansui TV is a standalone product. There's no DVD or VCR with it. I have a separate DVD/VCR player, but it's not connected to anything. Does 'combo' still apply to my situation?

There's just the Nextbox cable box and the Sansui TV.

Following the instructions on Page 14. Did steps 1-4. When pressing the numbers, for 1 I got 1 blink. For 2 I got 9 blinks. For 3 I got 9 blinks. For 4 it didn't blink. So the code is apparently 1990? What do I do with the 1990? The manual doesn't appear to say what I'm supposed to do with the information.

On page 49 for TVs, beside Sansui, the codes aren't 1990. They say 0463 and 1935.

Dixie2012 voted this post useful.
Old 01-12-20, 04:22 PM
RE combo units:

A TV-VCR unit is treated as a VCR. and you press the VCR button on the universal remote to set up the remote and to control it using the remote..
A TV-DVD unit is treated as a DVD player.
A standalone TV is treated as a TV and you press the TV button on the universal remote. Then you press and hold the Setup button. Then you look up the manufacturer codes starting with those in the TV section.

When you got the one blink, 9 blinks, etc. for code 1990, does the remote operate the TV properly? If not then the code 1990, either in the remote to start with or chosen by the remote when you let up on the CH button was really not the correct code.

Press the TV button again, then hold the Setup button again, then put in one of the other codes you mentioned (0483?) and see if that code works the TV. If not, press the TV button again, then hold the Setup button again, then put in yet another code you saw in the Sansui TV setcion to see if that one works.

Old 01-12-20, 04:31 PM
AllanJ:

What do I do with the codes though? I pressed TV, pressed SETUP and waited for the TV button to blink twice, then entered each code. First I entered 0463. Nothing happened. Entered it again. Nothing happened. Restarted the process and used 1935 this time. Nothing happened. Tried it again, nothing happened. Restarted the process using 1990 this time. Nothing happened.

Is there a different button I'm supposed to press before entering a code?

Old 01-12-20, 04:38 PM
All codes start with pressing the TV button (for a stand alone TV) and then hold the Setup button. If none of the 4 digit codes in the manufacturer section work (PWR button does not turn the TV on and off) then that remote might not possess the proper code set for your TV.

One other thing to try: Press TV button, then hold Setup button as before, Enter 4 digit code and wait 10 seconds. Press TV button again without pressing Setup again. Point the remote at the TV and use the PWR button to see whether it works.

Can you find the remote sensor (probably a small hole or shiny square) on the front of the TV? If so be sure it is not covered with dust.

doublezero voted this post useful.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-12-20 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-12-20, 05:29 PM
AllanJ:

"One other thing to try: Press TV button, then hold Setup button as before, Enter 4 digit code and wait 10 seconds. Press TV button again without pressing Setup again. Point the remote at the TV and use the PWR button to see whether it works."

Hey, it worked. I used code 0463. Pressed the TV button, held the Setup button until the TV button blinked twice, entered 0463, waited 10 seconds, pressed TV button again, then pointed the remote at the Sansui and pressed PWR. It turned the TV off without affecting the cable box. Now I can turn the TV on and off with that remote.

I don't know how to actually watch anything on the TV though. How do I change the channels? Or is there still another step I have to take? Entering channel numbers doesn't seem to do anything, and neither does pressing the CH buttons.

There are only 2 channels available on the TV, just like before, and all they show is static. Channels 3 and 4.

Old 01-12-20, 07:03 PM
Is there a TV/AV button on the remote? In TV (antenna) mode you would get snow on the screen but in AV mode the screen may be blank but should be solid gray or blue or black.

Are there any more Sansui brand 4 digit codes you can plug into the remote and try out? It is possible that the power on and off code matches but some of the other functionality does not work for code 0463.

Dixie2012, doublezero voted this post useful.
Old 01-12-20, 07:30 PM
AllanJ:

There's no TV/AV button on that remote but one of the buttons at the lowest end says Video Source. That does what TV/AV is supposed to do. Pressed it and a show appeared. I've got cable TV!

This is great. I don't have to throw out the Sansui, or order a replacement remote for it, and now I know how to get old TVs to work. This TV, even though it's already 20 years old, will last longer than a brand new LCD smart TV. I really appreciate your assistance and the advice from the others here. Thanks!

Dixie2012 voted this post useful.
Old 01-13-20, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good for you! I like making use of anything still working, too.