Request advice on new home wiring

Old 02-22-20, 07:24 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Request advice on new home wiring

I am in the process of building a home. Now is my opportunity to run all wiring I need/ may need in future. I am admittedly not up on current wiring protocols. My TVs are “Smart”. I do have Verizon Fios. Should I be running both CAT6 and coaxial to each TV? I currently have only two TVS and both have a STB box. I intend on adding a few TVs. Do I still need a STB for each location if I continue with either FIOs os Optum?

Thanks in advance for input.

Old 02-22-20, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,317 Votes on 1,217 Posts
A cat 5/6 cable and an RG-6 to each TV location is a good idea. The network cable can plug directly into the TV for streaming if it has a network connection. The RG-6 needs to go to a converter box and then to the TV with an HDMI cable.

Here's something you also do. I have three FiOS boxes running 6 TV's.
I have the boxes running three TV's directly on HDMI and then three other TV's connected to the CH 3 RF out connection. The three slaved TV's see the same thing as the three main boxes. It's not HD but it's pretty good.

I have one box in the family room to a TV. The TV in the basement is slaved to that one.
I have a box in the master bedroom to a TV. The TV in the sewing room is slaved to that one.
I have a box in the den to a TV. The TV in the kitchen is slaved to that one.

You'll be running your network and coax cables to a single point for connection. In order to do what I did.... run a second coax to each location. You can connect them as needed.

Old 02-23-20, 04:38 AM
J
PJ, thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. Exactly what I needed to know. With regard to wiring for sound, we are not big audiophiles but would like surround sound in family room and music capabilities in the kitchen and back deck. Is wireless ala Sonos or the like the way to go?

Old 02-23-20, 06:31 AM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
You can run ethernet to each room then put unmanaged switches around to connect your devices to those cables and then to your router. I've been wiring my home that way and it allows you to connect multiple devices. I have 2 8port and 1 5port spaced around my home to support tvs, streaming devices and game consoles.

Old 02-23-20, 09:13 AM
J
Thang you for this information. You prefer wired over wireless for music?

Old 02-23-20, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,317 Votes on 1,217 Posts
Wired over wireless is always the preferred method. Keeps the wireless demand lower.
Some systems only operate in the wireless mode. Sonos may be like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: