New LR media setup

Old 07-06-20, 07:51 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New LR media setup

So my spouse and I are thinking about moving all our home entertainment gear into the room on the other side of the LR wall, so that only the TV will be on the wall. Currently it's all in a large cabinet we'd like to get rid of and create a clean, screen-only setup. As it happens, a closed is opposite the TV wall, so it wouldn't be a lot of demo or even hole punching to get the cabling through. Can anyone point me to resources for doing a project like this? I have tools and skills, but have never tried anything like this. The components would be a 7.1 receiver, satellite box, Roku, and perhaps a bluray player. Those would sit in the closet, and the cabling could run through the wall, perhaps with something like this:In-wall kit. Any ideas or resources would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-20, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 934 Votes on 871 Posts
You already have AC to the TV. You just need to get cables between the areas. I use low voltage rings with the brush plate. One should be enough. You just need to get an HDMI cable from your switching receiver to the TV.

Not sure how you are going to handle the speaker wiring. If that comes out of the wall under the TV.... pss that thru using the same brush plates. They also come in two gang.

You're going to need an IR extender system. In the link is an 8x system. The way this works is you put the receiver eye just under the bottom of the TV so it faces the room. This takes your remote signals.... sends them to the splitter box and then you have 8 IR transmitters. You put an IR transmitter on each piece of equipment. Each piece of equipment gets the remote signal. You can use multiple remote controls. They all pass thru.

8x IR extender kit
Single brush wall plate

Old 07-06-20, 09:19 PM
J
Excellent, thanks for the links. And yeah, I can arrange the components any way I like in the closet, I just have to figure out the wiring and screen mount. I have two Polk towers I love, but my wife want to get rid of. She's thinking something smaller, more modern. I want to get this right the first time, so while I'm at the info gathering stage I want to make sure I have options. If you think of anything else, please pass it along. Thanks again.

Old 07-06-20, 10:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 934 Votes on 871 Posts
Depending on closet size you may need a fan for ventilation or louvers in the door.

Old 07-07-20, 06:03 PM
J
That is an excellent point, and one I hadn't considered. My receiver does put out a fair amount of heat. I have enough parts left from my last computer build to put together another machine as a media center, and that too will warm up the space. Thanks.