Outdoor speaker setup

Old 07-24-20, 10:04 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Outdoor speaker setup

I have 2 Sonos Play1 Bluetooth speakers which I occasionally put outside and plug in an outlet. I play Spotify or pandora through the Sonos app and music sounds great. I want a more permanent setup that can withstand the outdoor elements. I like the ability to select each Sonos speaker individually and play separate music or stream the same music.

I have a pool bar with an overhang, and want to mount 2 outdoor speakers to the under side of overhang. Was looking at Sonos or Bose outdoor speakers. I believe these are passive and I would have to connect via speaker wire. I have 2 old bose outdoor speakers (the kind you can put in the ground, we had ours in big planters on the deck) that I previously used with a REALLY OLD stereo receiver. The receiver stopped working so I removed the speakers, the speaker wiring went outside under my deck and had been there for almost 20 years. I believe the speaker wire is shot.

I would also like to use these old Bose speakers, trying to figure out how to connect them all. Ideally I would install 2 speakers in the pool bar, but may be difficult to get speaker wire out there. If they are Bluetooth, would I be able to use them like my Sonos play1 speakers where I just plug into an AC outlet and donít need speaker wire?

Also my wife bought me a Sonos connect, which I am not sure how to use for what I want to do. I believe that is the powered receiver that I would connect to my home theater receiver? And then I can stream music through the ďBĒ speakers that will be wired to the outdoor speakers? Does the Sonos connect merely allow me to control whatever I connect to it using the Sonos mobile app?

home theater receiver is about a year old, however I just swapped it out with my ancient receiver last week. Removed about 50 cables and replaced with 3 HDMI cables!! The receiver is a Yamaha TSR-5830 with WiFi Bluetooth and musicCast.

Sorry for long winded post, to summarize looking for suggestions on how to connect the outdoor passive speakers I already own (Bose) and new outdoor speakers I didnít purchase yet. Lea omg towards Bose because I heard the Sonos outdoor speakers canít be controlled separately (volume) and they are a lot pricier. Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-20, 10:34 AM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
It wouldn't use your old speakers but I put a setup out on my patio using 2 bluetooth amps, 4 8 inch speakers mounted in truck speaker boxes. I hung the speakers using TV mounts and ran the wires tucked behind the soffit along the ceiling. I am not very handy so I did not want to mangle the soffit trying to mount them there. I used cheap nobsound bluetooth amps and micca 8 inch speakers from amazon. They sound great for about $40 each. Pyle makes a few 4 channel bluetooth amps but you would still have to run wires.

Old 07-24-20, 12:07 PM
D
Are the Bluetooth amps connected to a receiver or just powered by an outlet? Ideally I would like to plug in a set of speakers and connect via Bluetooth or WiFi. I would like to attach outdoor speakers under the eve on both sides of the bar window high up so big box speakers wonít work and wonít look good.

The red marks are where I want to mount speakers and the blue marks are where I want to mount a pair of small light fixtures.

Old 07-24-20, 12:51 PM
C
Since I started with just 1 I connect a firetv to one amp via Bluetooth and it is wired to the input of the second amp. I can also connect my phone. With firetv I can play siriusxm, prime video, YouTube, pandora or stream stuff from my plex box. I have a bunch of concert videos.

Old 07-24-20, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,045 Votes on 969 Posts
There are many weatherproof wedge type speakers available.
You can find them from $45 a pair up to $350.

I installed three pairs of white Polk speakers at a customers house.
An upper deck, lower deck and in front of the house for holiday music.
Polk speakers

Old 07-29-20, 10:18 AM
S
I'm old school with audio - I like to have true stereo separation. That's why I have a wired setup, a Bluetooth receiver out side connected to a conventional stereo inside. From there connections to (now old) 2 outdoor RCA speakers, left and right channels. They're also connected to a volume control, not so necessary these days since the source is usually a phone, pc or tablet with volume controls. I heard Sonos speakers in a commercial building - the quality was great, but each I believe was a mono summation of what was broadcast via Bluetooth

Many music listeners are fine with a Bluetooth speaker - but many that I've seen are not true stereo, even if they were they won't provide the true stereo experience.

Really nice setup you have Crashandburn with speakers inside and out. I'd love to have a screened in room like the one with the ceiling fan.

Old 07-29-20, 02:24 PM
C
I went with that cheap amp at first and added the second because the 4 channel pyle amps had people complaining that they were not stereo and I already tried the one. They both have an aux input. I use the aux out from one to feed the signal to the other. I have not bothered plugging anything in to the input of the main one. I may add an echo input so it will work with alexa play 'everywhere'.