LG flat screen picture goes out

Old 09-23-20, 07:05 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LG flat screen picture goes out

My LG tv turns on ok with a good picture, but then the screen eventually goes grey with vertical lines. If left alone, it will eventually come back to a normal picture! Takes a long time though!

Old 09-23-20, 07:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Are you planning on repairing the TV? What questions do you have?

Old 09-23-20, 10:18 AM
M
Yes, sorry! Beautiful picture when it's working right! Just a pain when you have to wait a half hour for the picture to return! this is on the main cable (Fios) STB. 2 other tvs on the satellite boxes work ok! Wondering if it's the HDMI cable or connection or the tv is bad

Old 09-23-20, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You could try moving the HDMI cable to another TV input.

The repair measures are not always cut and dried. These TV's get power supply problems typically requiring capacitor replacement. There is also a T-con display driver board that can go intermittent. Basically the TV is made up off several interconnected modules. Most of the guys servicing these TV's just swap boards until the problem is found. Can be a little costly for a DIY repair.

Post the model number for the TV.

Old 09-23-20, 10:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If nothing is being touched or moved I doubt it's the HDMI but since it's easy and free to test start there. When the TV is working properly or when it's gone black start wiggling the cable. Work along it's entire length including near the connectors at each end. Each time you wiggle something give the TV a few seconds to reacquire then move on to wiggle the next bit. If you don't find anything there try plugging the cable into a different HDMI input. Don't forget to switch the TV's input so it's looking at the new HDMI socket for an input.

If that didn't turn up anything have another HDMI TV handy. The next time the TV goes black unplug the HDMI from the TV and plug it into your tester TV to see if it works there. If it does you've narrowed the problem down to the TV and not your output device (cable box, FIOS, Fire stick...).

If none of that helped look into your TV's warranty. If it's out of warranty and more than a few years old replacing it with a new one might be a better option than replacing internal modules. TV's are so inexpensive few people actually do repairs. Those that do mostly just replace modules until they hit the problem like PJmax mentioned. There was only one shop in my town that even attempted repairs and they went out of business last year and I've never known a business to do component level repairs so your repair options may be limited unless you are an electronics engineer and want to take on the repair for fun.

Old 09-23-20, 03:06 PM
M
Thanks guys! I'll work with the cable and input and see what happens! I'll also try a different set! I wouldn't mess around with the tv itself! Might end up with a new tv! It's a shame because the picture is really good on this set! It only is a problem when it's first turned on and there's no problem after that!

Old 09-24-20, 10:40 AM
J
Received 16 Upvotes on 12 Posts
I'm surprised that no one mentioned just trying to replace the HDMI cable.
Couldn't hurt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: