Twilight Zone

Old 10-16-20, 07:54 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Twilight Zone

Something very strange occurred two nights ago at 12:00 midnight. I woke up at 11:55 and got out of bed. We have a JBL surround system installed in the ceiling of the living room, and I have a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080 receiver below the TV. I run the TV audio through the Yamaha. As I was sitting on the sofa in the living room, at about midnight, the speakers in the ceiling suddenly started blaring some kind of music at a very high volume. My first thought was that the Yamaha receiver had been left on and some signal had gotten through. Grabbing the remote, I opened the cabinet door and noticed that the Yamaha receiver was off. My wife ran out of the bedroom, wondering what was happening. The blaring music suddenly stopped. It had been on for about 30 seconds. Both the TV and the receiver had been turned off when we went to bed.

The Yamaha receiver is connected to the internet through WiFi, and the MusicCast feature has not been enabled. With the Yamaha receiver being off, how could an audio signal get past the receiver? I am at a loss for an explanation. Has anyone else ever experienced this type of strange occurrence?

I found this site referring to a similar occurrence with a Yamaha. https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads...ged-in.437924/

Last edited by Factotum; 10-16-20 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Add to thread.
Old 10-16-20, 08:14 AM
Received 370 Votes on 335 Posts
So I suspect the unit is never in an absolute OFF mode but is in a standby mode when turned off. As a result I suspect a signal if strong enough can get through because the electronics are always ready to receive. As the link said, pulling the plug is the only real way of cutting power. I don't like the 1st half explanation given by Tom's Guide. If that were true I believe you would be seeing other troubles such as maintaining good contact while in use and sustained volume. However the second half of the explanation is plausible.

Old 10-16-20, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 989 Votes on 900 Posts
Hard telling. But if it happens again, or anything else weird continues to occur, call an electrician.

Once in the shop I rent, the power all the sudden going haywire in one half of the shop, causing things that you would expect to see if you believed in seances. Turns out the builder next door had hit our buried electrical line with his augur and never reported it. (This was a couple years later) I believe the neutral was going to ground or something to that effect, and it caused the strangest things. I remember a light switch turned on the radio, and the radio was OFF. Twilight zone is right!

Old 10-16-20, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
With the Yamaha receiver being off, how could an audio signal get past the receiver? I am at a loss for an explanation. Has anyone else ever experienced this type of strange occurrence?
My extremely educated guess....... ham radio or more likely a CB with a high power amplifier.
(Ask me how I know. )

More than likely a one off and it will never happen again unless it's a neighbor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: