Protective cover for flat panel TVs

Old 10-25-20, 07:14 AM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Protective cover for flat panel TVs

So we had a nice 55” TV for about 6 years hanging up on the wall and then WAM, my son broke it with a metal spatula. We then bought a new 65” TV in December, put a baby gate AND an ottoman in front of the TV so he couldn't reach it, and then WAM, he throws a whisk at it and breaks this one. <insert facepalm here>. I’ve been looking at protective plexiglass covers online, and they are literally like buying a new TV, somewhere between $300-$350. I saw plexiglass at Home Depot that would fit the tv, but it’s only 1/8” thick. So if you push on the middle, I would imagine it would still cause damage to the tv. Out of curiosity....

1. If you took an older tv part, like a DLP for example, is there a piece of plastic screen in the front that could be used? Or is the screen tied into the rest of the tv and so can’t be used?

2. Anyone ever make their own protective cover? I would imagine you would need something more than 1/8”, maybe more like 1/4”?

thanks! (Help! Lol)

Top Answer

10-25-20, 10:46 AM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Boy have things changed. When I was young there was no running or horseplay anywhere near the TV and throwing anything inside the house would make sitting down painful.

Old 10-25-20, 07:27 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
1/8 will be fine, your just looking for something to deflect the flying objects, in fact even some heavy film would work!

Old 10-25-20, 07:40 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
I agree, I'd just get a 1/8" plexi or lexan and use some kind of metal L bracket to hang it off the top. While it will bend in the middle, it'll take the brunt of anything that's thrown at it. None of it will stop a brick being hurled at it, but should help with any of your common child-thrown items.

I believe Lexan is typically more clear than plexiglass, so you may want to see if you can find a sheet of that instead. The only real downside to either will be a potential glare depending on where your windows are. TVs are designed to reduce that glare as much as possible. A sheet of plastic unfortunately won't.

Old 10-25-20, 10:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Boy have things changed. When I was young there was no running or horseplay anywhere near the TV and throwing anything inside the house would make sitting down painful.

Nevar, Norm201, PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 10-25-20, 05:56 PM
J
Thx for the replies. Does anyone know if I were to take apart a TV like this, could the plastic front be used as a cover for my TV? Or does it not work that way?

Old 10-26-20, 04:40 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I'm not passing judgement or trying tell you how to rear your children, BUT...
I can understand how a kid (toddler) might get hold of something and make a random throw to break something like a TV. But twice? Putting a plastic protective cover over the TV is treating the symptom not the cause. If the kid is not a toddler then there are bigger problems involved.

Old 10-26-20, 05:49 AM
J
Well I appreciate the comment Norm, but if you understood the situation you would realize your comment is out of line. Not every household is typical and some have special circumstances. If you don’t have a helpful comment about the protective tv cover, then please don’t bother.

Old 10-26-20, 07:29 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
The plastic front of an older DLP or rear projection TV is also quite thin and will bow inward if pushed. If it is ribbed or corrugated as opposed to smooth and transparent then it won't work.

I would consider a 1/4 inch spacing in frront of the TV too small. You would need to build a frame, most easily using 1x1 or "1x1" (the latter about 3/4 inches square) wood strips glued to the perimeter of the Plexiglas or Lexan sheet. Prop this up in front of a TV set standing on a table or desk or hang it in front of a wall mounted TV.

Old 10-26-20, 08:09 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
I doubt that a DLP screen will work as many if not all of them are coated on the inside.

Also the lexan or whatever you use is going to cause distortion in the picture.

I do not know if the following will work in your situation but perhaps build the TV into a shallow cabinet and only open it when you are watching it and the kid.

Old 10-26-20, 08:12 AM
S
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Well I appreciate the comment Norm, but if you understood the situation you would realize your comment is out of line.

And we're supposed to know this without you giving that detail in your OP?

Old 10-26-20, 08:27 AM
J
Thanks manden and Allanj. Appreciate the constructive comments.

Yea, I’ve seen other online build in some sort of bumper around the plexi so it does rest right against the tv, which is in line with your thinking about having a frame around it.

And thanks manden. Wasn’t sure what the DLP would look like inside. Worst case I pick it up (free on Craigs list lol) and see. But I agree, it’s probably not thicker than the 1/8” plexi from Home Depot.

sandbar said, “And we're supposed to know this without you giving that detail in your OP?” It was left out of the OP because it’s not relevant to the question and not your business. The question is how to protect the tv, not how to raise kids.

Old 10-26-20, 03:06 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
John, of course you're right. It is not any of my business.
However in my defense it's customary to give give a "why" something is being done. That helps us provide a better answer to a question. And I might add you are the one that provided the information that the TV was hit by a child, not once but twice. That elicited a comment (albeit, not connected to the problem) that not only me but another poster alluded to upbringing.
But I do apologize. Hope you resolve the problem and let us know how you solved it.

Regards,

Norm

Old 10-26-20, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Ok..... we've put the child rearing issue behind us.
If you don't have a direct solution to the problem at hand....... don't reply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: