Is it ok to split speaker wire to 2 different locations?

Old 02-16-21, 12:47 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it ok to split speaker wire to 2 different locations?

I am getting ready to drywall my basement ceiling. In that basement I have an entertainment system with speaker wire running from it, up the wall and thru the wall to speakers mounted outside.

I am trying to think ahead in that what if we decide to move the entertainment system to a different wall in the future. I could run speaker wire from the new location over to the existing wire at the top of the wall in the current location, and splice it into the existing wiring.

I'm thinking this will work without too much problem. Thoughts?

Old 02-16-21, 03:19 PM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
If you solder them they will be fine.

If you know where that location is, even the current one, you can run low voltage conduit and your all set to run new cables.

Old 02-16-21, 04:10 PM
H
Thanks for the reply. What's the benefit of that conduit?

Old 02-16-21, 04:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
You can pull new wires through the conduit.

Old 02-16-21, 04:29 PM
H
Ah, ok thanks to you both.

Old 02-24-21, 04:06 PM
A
Received 131 Votes on 120 Posts
Yes you can tie in the new speaker wires to the "middle" of the existing speaker wires giving the wiring the overall appearance of a Y branch. But there are numerous situations where you may not have speakers connected in both locations at the same time.

For full flexibility in connecting speakers to both locations at the same time you would be better off stringing the new wires all the way back to the equipment without tying into the existing wires.

Speakers all with at least twice the impedance as the amplifier or A/V receiver speaker rating may be connected to both locations when you did tie the new wires into the old wires halfway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: