Samsung BD-F5900 Blu-Ray player no picture

Old 02-18-21, 07:04 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Samsung BD-F5900 Blu-Ray player no picture

This is 2013 model player that was rarely used. probably only played about 5 discs. has been sitting unused for probably 6 years. I connected it up to the tv and when turned it on, the CEC function (anynet+) turned on the TV. it flashes on TV "samsung smart blu ray player". The HDMI2 indicator changes to HDMI-CEC 720x480. So it is being recognized. But then says HDMI2 no signal Check source. I tried different input jacks on TV. Tried different HDMI cable. nothing. then connected different source using same cable connected to HDMI2 and works fine. So it isn't cable, isn't HDMI port. I tried resetting player by hitting the stop button for 5 seconds and the display on player showed INIT for initialize. something did flash on tv, but it was fast and I don't know what it said? then gone and says check source again. tried unplugging, although I think it has been unplugged for years. tried using wired LAN to see if maybe something would update, but from manual looks like you go on menu to update. But since nothing shows on tv there is no menu. Any help appreciated.

Old 02-19-21, 06:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
If you are getting the player's home screen "samsung smart blu ray player" showing on the TV then it is communicating and sending a picture signal. I had an old player that acted similarly. I suspect your player is not recognizing the disc or it may not even know it has a disc. Either way I suspect your cable and video (HDMI) connection is good. It's just that the player isn't working.

If you have a CD/DVD cleaner disc/kit I would try using it several times. Maybe it's just dirt on the laser or pickup sensor. They are common and inexpensive but CD, DVD & Blue Ray players are extremely precise machines and a bit of dirt can stop them from working.

Old 02-19-21, 08:39 AM
H
I think you misunderstood. While the player won't play disks, it also doesn't show a home page. remember, this is a smart blu ray player. When you turn it on, it has home page with settings and apps, etc. It doesn't even do that. So I haven't even reached point of worrying about cleaning discs.

Old 02-20-21, 10:57 AM
H
I chatted with Samsung. they had me do the things I already did: reset, power cycle. then said it would need service. I asked about whether it could have gotten bad software. last year Samsung sent out a bad file and blu ray players that received it were bricked. they were stuck in a boot loop. the tech said that was J series players (2015) not F series (2013). mine isn't in boot loop but still thought worth asking. just strange how it worked when last used, sat for years, now not working? The thing still has all the protective plastic film on it! Probably not worth sending in for repair.

Old 03-13-21, 06:27 PM
H
After Calling samsung and them telling me over $100 for repair, I declined. They then lowered it to flat fee of $55, which including 2 way shipping and guarantee fix whatever the problem. So I sent it in. The problem, per the repair sheet, was defective PCB Main. Not sure how that happens from sitting around? oxidation from non-use? But it works now. Being this is in new condition with protective plastic wrap still on it, I sent it in. If it were abused and had a lot of use I probably wouldn't have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: