Headphone left channel dead

Old 10-05-22, 09:17 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M20X Headphones. The left channel suddenly went dead. I tried the headphones on several other devices with the same result. Slightly wiggling the wire at the plug produces no left channel sound (as it sometimes does with a short in the wiring). Does anyone have any advice on where to begin the diagnostics?

Old 10-05-22, 09:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
First, those are pretty inexpensive headphones. Most would consider them disposable.

If your want to look into it take it apart and find out what's wrong. I like to start at one end and work my way through the system. In this case I'd start at the jack/plug and work my way up the cord. You may have a broken wire in the cord somewhere, or where the cord meats the headset. Then open the headphones and look for anything obvious like a broken wire connecting the left side. You can also try feeding a input/signal to the left speaker and see if it works. If not you probably have a bad speaker but if it works it's a good indication that the problem is somewhere upstream.

Old 10-05-22, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,846 Posts
You can only visually check the cable without cutting it apart.

Since the cord enters the left side of the headphone.... take off the foam cushion and open the earpiece. You can check the speaker and the wiring once apart.

Old 10-05-22, 02:36 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
Slightly wiggling the wire at the plug produces no left channel sound (as it sometimes does with a short in the wiring).
Based on this, I agree, its more than likely a broken wire at the plug. You may be able to find a generic replacement plug, cut the wire just above the original plug, then solder the wires to the new generic replacement plug.

Old 10-05-22, 04:25 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I inaccurately stated: "Slightly wiggling the wire at the plug produces no left channel sound (as it sometimes does with a short in the wiring)".
What I meant to say was that even when wiggling the wire at the plug, it makes no difference. Nothing I do with respect to the plug wire makes the slightest bit of difference; sound can't be heard from the left channel.

Old 10-05-22, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,846 Posts
No problem.... so like I said.... start at the earpiece.
If the speaker is dead.... problem over.
If the speaker is ok.... you can try changing the plug or the cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: