Connections Using HD Antenna

Old 11-25-22, 07:19 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Connections Using HD Antenna

Hello,
I just cut the cable and started using an HD Antenna. So I have a new LG
TV, DVD Player & Receiver. This hookup is new to me because using the HD antenna requires the signal to be sent from the TV to the Receiver. So my Receiver is Yamaha RX-V663, TV LG 55NANO75UQA and Samsung DVD Player. So I connected TV hdmi (ARC) to hdmi IN on receiver. DVD hdmi to TV hdmi (ARC). I also ran TV Optical OUT to Optical IN on receiver. But the TV automatically recognizes the Optical sound out. Shouldn’t the TV use the hdmi to send the sound to the receiver? Also, if I connect the DVD hdmi to the receiver hdmi IN, will the receiver play the DVD and TV signals simultaneously?
This is different for me because my original hookup was with a cable box and I ran everything to the receiver and the receiver to the TV but now with an HD antenna it’s all backwards.
Thanks for any help!

Old 11-25-22, 08:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Why is it backwards ?
The HD antenna only goes to the TV.

I don't think you can send the TV audio out of the TV for processing via the HDMI.
Everything is treated as an input to the TV.
If you want the receiver to process the TV audio it will need to be sent to the receiver via the optical cable.

Old 11-26-22, 04:20 AM
J
PJMax,
I say it backwards because while using cable TV, all the components go to the receiver (hdmi-in) then the receiver sends the signals to the TV with one hdmi. Now, when using the HD Antenna, the signal needs to go from TV to receiver because the TV is where the digital tuner is that gets all the channels. So I have no choice but to send “Sound Out” from TV to Receiver. Why, do you disagree?
Thanks!

Old 11-26-22, 05:51 AM
T
Received 195 Upvotes on 171 Posts
Make sure you are not confusing HDMI In and Out. Case may not be marked In/Out.

Additionally, rhe Yamaha RX-V663 is a audio device and might not pass video.

Labeling an antenna HD is a marketing ploy. ATSC was designed to use the hundreds of thousands of antennas already in place. Does your new antennas work better? Probably, but it replaced an antenna that was how many years old?​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Old 11-26-22, 07:15 AM
J
Thanks ThisOldMan,
I replaced my Verizon Fios Cable with the antenna. The antenna is plugged into the TV. Now I wanted to run hdmi from receiver to tv so I have
receiver (hdmi out) to tv (hdmi ARC). This is for sound when watching tv. I also have a DVD player. My question is, if the DVD player is connected to the receiver with hdmi and the tv is connected to the receiver with hdmi, would the receiver play both simultaneously?

Old 11-26-22, 12:25 PM
Group Moderator
You have three HDMI ports on the back of your receiver.
DVD = IN 1
DTV/CBL = IN 2
OUT

IN 1 or IN 2 will process and send audio out to OUT.
I'm guessing your TV is connected to OUT.

You are expecting to get audio from your TV back into your receiver via the OUT port.... correct ?
It doesn't work that way.
You're going to have to send the audio from the TV optical out to one of the three optical in ports.
Pages 21 and 22 cover the HDMI assignments.
Yamaha RX-v663 owners manual - pdf

Old 11-26-22, 02:53 PM
J
Thanks PJMax,
I have my TV hdmi arc (in) going to receiver hdmi in (dtv/cable) because my OTA antenna requires the tv to send the signal out to the receiver. I have my DVD player hdmi out going to my TV hdmi arc in. What I’d like to do is connect my Samsung BD-J5700 DVD player hdmi out to the receiver hdmi in to minimize wires going to the TV. My DVD player is for movie and music discs. The thing is, with the antenna the signal goes back to the receiver, in which case I just don’t want the receiver to play two things simultaneously.

Old 11-26-22, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
I don't see how any receiver can process and merge two digital streams.
It should be one or the other plays.

Old 11-26-22, 03:35 PM
T
Received 195 Upvotes on 171 Posts
Read up on the HDMI connections on your TV. HDMI-ARC is an audio output but I'm pretty sure it does not pass video. What you want is HDMI-OUT

I don't think they make a TV with HDMI out. Digital video out would make it too easy to pirate copyrighted material. Copy protection was a big concern when the ATSC standards were being written (search for broadcast protection group ).

Old 11-26-22, 03:36 PM
J
Ok, thanks PJMax. This whole thing with having the TV be the signal source and sending it back to the receiver threw me for a loop.

Old 11-28-22, 07:51 AM
A
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
HDMI out on a TV would be for feeding a second TV (say, in an auditorium) with the same program and the master of ceremonies operates just the first TV set. It can also be used to send the audio to an A/V receiver.

The A/V receiver does not (cannot; should not) merge two digital or other sources. You use its input selector with labels such as HDMI1, HDMI2, Optical, maybe even Phono and Tuner to select one source at a time..

It is possible you don't have enough HDMI inputs on the receiver (or on the TV) for all of your sources. So you would need to plug some sources (DVD player, etc>0 into the back of the TV and others into the back of the receiver and use both of their remotes to select the desired program. This has been a common problem in years past. So some sources are using the path source to receiver to TV while other sources use the path source to TV to receiver.

If, say, you have TV HDMI out connected to receiver HDMI1 in and also receiver HDMI out to TV HDMI1 in, then you must not select the respective HDMI in on both TV and receiver at the same time. Otherwise you get a feedback loop. I don't know what the results of such a feedback loop looks like or sounds like although in years past (they only had audio back then) you got a loud squeal in the speakers.

A typical HD TV antenna is the same thing as a UHF antenna. Using watered down averages of TV set sensitivity, broadcast station kilowatts of power then and now, and user experiences,, an antenna rated for X miles of analog reception is good for two thirds X miles of digital TV reception.

A UHF antenna has fins less than 6 inches long. About five percent of U.S. TV stations use VHF actual channels that require antenna fins more than one and a half feet long. Depending on the number of long fins, a separate antenna mileage rating for VHF channels can be made with the same two thirds rule for digital versus analog. The number in the station's on screen logo or announced in the station ID (virtual channel; channel as shown during setup scan) is usually not the same as the actual channel broadcast on.

Old 11-28-22, 04:25 PM
J
Thanks for the info! My main objective is this:
My receiver & DVD player are on a cupboard, my TV is mounted to my fireplace 6 feet away. So I'm trying to minimize the number of cables running across the mantle to the TV. My current connections are:
DVD HDMI OUT to TV HDMI ARC IN
Receiver DTV/ HDMI IN to TV HDMI ARC IN
Coax Cable (OTA Antenna) to TV
TV Power Cable toPower Strip (next to receiver)

So I have 2-HDMI Cables, 1-Coax, 1-Power Cable running across the mantle.
My hope is that I could eliminate the HDMI Cable from DVD -> TV and Run that HDMI cable to the receiver instead, given that I already have an HDMI going from the receiver to the TV already.

I tried taking the HDMI from DVD to TV and ran HDMI IN receiver to HDMI OUT DVD player but I got no video that way.

Old 11-28-22, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
This is what the owners manual shows..... is it correct ?
You have three HDMI ports on the back of your receiver.
DVD = IN 1
DTV/CBL = IN 2
OUT

You would run DVD HDMI out to DVD/IN 1.
You would run OUT to one of the TV HDMI inputs.

The receiver should pass DVD video thru and process surround audio.
There would be no broadcast TV audio processed here.

If you want the receiver to process TV video and TV audio..... you'd need to purchase an HD television converter box with HDMI out. The antenna would connect to the converter. You'd connect this to the DTV/IN 2 connection.

Old 11-29-22, 12:13 PM
J
Thanks PJMax,
So if I connected like you said it would be:
DVD HDMI OUT to DVD/IN on receiver.
Receiver HDMI OUT to TV HDMI IN.
If I do that what happens to the Antenna Signal coming from the TV?
Since the
Receiver HDMI OUT goes to TV HDMI/ARC IN, would the Antenna signal return to the Receiver via the ARC Port?

Old 11-29-22, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator
If you use a standalone HD tuner (just like a cable box but uses an antenna not cable) the antenna connects to it. There would be no antenna connected to the TV

HD antenna tuner - HDMI out

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: