tv fades to black

Old 07-11-01, 01:40 PM
arcadence
Visiting Guest
i have a zenith (not sure of the model #) 19" television about two years old now. recently, when you turn on the t.v. the picture appears darker than normal and a little fuzzy, and after about 2 minutes, the picture fades to black, but the audio still works. is this a known flaw in zenith televisions? is this worth having fixed or should i just buy a new television? thanks.

Old 07-13-01, 07:13 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, arcadence:
No, it is not a normal condition that you are relating. Since the picture fades to black and appears badly when the picture is present, my first check would be the filament circuit to the television set.

A poor ground on the filament circuit can, possibly, reduce available voltage and not allow the filaments to fully warm up. Once the connection disappears, the filaments will
power down and the picture will fade to black.

Look in the back of the set and determine if the filaments are present. This could be nothing more than a quick solder job on a bad connection in the set.

The second alternative would place the problem in the high voltage circuit but is not as common. If a failure has occured in the quadrupler or focus circuit, this, too, can cause a similar failure. But, again, this is uncommon in a two year old set.

Let's check the filament situation first.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: