27" Mitsu. Vert hold

Old 07-27-01, 03:32 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a 27" Mitsubishi TV that is about 6 years old. Just recently the picture has begun to occasionally roll vertically for a brief period of time usually when I change channels using the remote. The rolling usually stops after a few seconds but occasionally lasts longer.

It also seems like there is an area about 2" up from the bottom that occasionally appear to be a bit "jittery" (horizontally), but other than having noticed these two things start at about the same time, it is not clear to me that they are related. Any suggestions??

Old 07-28-01, 06:58 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, tboaz3:

The circuit that is being affected is the Vertical Oscillator that provides a picture to be displayed on the screen at 30 frames per second. Usually, this circuit is very stable. The actual signal received by the television set provides stabilization information to keep this oscillator running smoothly.

Two things can cause this oscillator to become unstable. The incoming signal is weak and not supplying sufficient information to stabilize the circuit. The other is that a filter capacitor in the power supply is leaking and allowing 60 Hz line frequency into places where it doesn't belong. A third possibility exists in that this circuit has several capacitors (condensers) of its own and one of these may be the culprit.

None of this eludes to an expensive repair. The condition, however, will continue to deteriorate and ultimately the picture will roll constantly. Now is a good time to have it checked out. Use the information I have given you and talk to some repair sites in your area for estimates.

Smokey

Old 07-29-01, 12:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: