gounded cable tv connection

Old 08-30-01, 04:58 PM
rbraibish
Visiting Guest
The Cable Company will be coming by soon to ground my cable connection. I was told that the inline fitting used to ground the cable would be located near the ground. I would like to know if there is a good reason the fitting canít be at the eve (where the cable comes to my house) and a longer ground wire ran to ground. I suspect that the Cable Company does not want to run the extra length of ground wire. I am routing all of the cable after the ground connection and because of the layout of my 2-story house, it is much more economical and practical to run the cable in the attic space (some of the house is slab-on-grade). If the grounding is done near the ground, I will have to route cable back up to the second story attic which is a significant issue to me for reasons not really relevant to the question. Will the signal quality or functionality of the ground be compromised with a longer ground cable? Finally, is there a problem with me routing the ground from the attic to an existing ground cable or other grounded item (plumbing etc.)?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-01, 07:00 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, rbraibish:

Grounding a cable is a good and recommended practice. In the case of "near misses" with lightning, the shield ground on the coax will prevent most problems. But, let's think about the "direct hit" on the cable....which does occur from time to time.

If the cable is coming in at the eave on the house, you certainly can ground it at that point. The cable is screwed into the grounding block. Another connection is
added on the other side of the block and the cable is then routed into the house. From the eave, an aluminum ground wire can be routed down the side of the house to an earth
ground point. Sometimes they use a water pipe and sometimes they drive a 3 foot copper rod into the ground for connection.

But, in all cases, the grounding should occur OUTSIDE the house. Suppose cable is hit by lightning or a near miss occurs. If the ground is 20 feet inside the house, the surge would have to travel inside until it is trapped by the ground. A huge surge could cause the cable to surge, melt, and ignite inside the house. Better this occur outside.

Smokey

Old 09-01-01, 03:18 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Ground

The only reason I can add not to put the ground up on the eve is distance. You want to keep the run for the ground as short as possible. I would also recommend the use of grounding rod(s). 7 to 8 foot long copper rods driven into the ground then the ground is ran to there. A lot of houses today have plastic (PVC) tubing for water lines. Even one small piece before the end of the pipe to the earth will insulate the pipe, IE: No ground. I use grounding rods for all of my sensitve equipment, computer battery backup, TV's everything. I also use 4 gauge hard drawn, stranded copper wire for the wire itself. Any good welding supply company has this. But a good 4 gauge wire like for use on an Arc welder works good too. I am sure there is a special wire for this though, any electricians around?