Green/Pink shadows on Sony Projection

Old 08-30-01, 11:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Please help-
I have a 5 yr-old, 53" Sony rear projection TV that, while watching it, suddenly developed bright green and pink shadows (double images) primarily on the left side of the screen. There's also a bit of distortion on the lower and top left of the screen. (the right hand side looks okay with a slight shadowing). I know I can't repair this myself, but just don't want to be taken to the cleaners when I call for service. Any suggestions on what might be the cause and (if possible) what it should cost to repair would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-31-01, 07:11 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, alisap:

Something has disturbed the convergence of the set, that's a given. Circuitry exists on each of the three projection tubes to cause them to project a a predicted point on the screen and prevent such "ghost" images (or outlines). When two guns are affected, I look for a common factor. Such a factor is in the high voltage circuit.

The problem may be nothing more than the aging of a component (causing it to change value). This can be compensated for by adjustment of the set. Since you did not indicate any other anomalies, this could well be the problem. Thus, all you need is a tech to do a little adjustment here and there to correct the problem. Not an expensive procedure.

I cannot quote prices because they vary from one area to another. Best advice is to talk to a couple of shops and get an estimate for RESETTING THE CONVERGENCE on your set.

Smokey

Old 08-31-01, 07:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Good morning Smokey,

Phew, thank you so much much for the explanation and advice! I've never had a problem before and didn't want to go into the service call "blind". Now, I can at least approach them with a direct question.

Thanks again for all your help - you're invaluable to this forum.

Alisa

Old 08-31-01, 09:49 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Smile

Good Morning, alisap:

Thank you for the kinds words. Conversely, folks like you are invaluable to us because you give us a purpose for being here. Be sure and tell all your friends about the site and, of course, come back for a visit now and then.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: