1987 32"color t.v. picture has big heads

Old 09-07-01, 02:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I purchased a 1987 32"quasar t.v for little or nothing, the gentleman that i purchased it from said that it had to be recharge, when I got it home and put cable on it, it played really good. but 3 months down the line the people heads looked very long and large. I would like to know if this is a problem that I can fix in my home and if not, is it really going to cost me a lot of money. I have taken the back off to try and see what it is that I can find that may help make the heads go back to normal, but being I do not have any type of manual I decided to seek as much information as possible.

thanks alot

Old 09-08-01, 03:46 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning Tangi_5:

Well, there isn't any need to kid ourselves about the age of the set. No matter how you slice it, it comes out to be fifteen years old. The fact that it is still running is a credit to Panasonic. And, frankly, any money and time you put into it is a lost cause.

But, I perceive you have some leaking capacitors in the set that are allowing voltages to exist in areas where they shouldn't be. In your case, the problem components are in and around the Vertical Driver section.
If you can find them, there should be two adjustments that may correct for this anomaly. One is the Vertical Height control and the other is the Vertical Linearity control. In the case of "big heads", you would change the Vertical
Linearity to correct the problem. Of course, any changes are bound to affect the color convergence settings on the
picture. Convergence is the adjustment to set the red, blue, and green electron guns to project at the correct spot on the screen. A change could give you red, blue, or green outlines around the the objects in the picture.

But, if you want to tinker with the old machine, about the best money spent would be to get a circuit diagram and manual on the set. For this, I would recommend that you go to Sams Photofacts, a long time friend of the TV tinkerer, and see what you are facing. The diagrams also show you pictures of where all the components and adjustments are located. It's a good investment in your case. You can find their website at http://www.samswebsite.com/photofacts.html

Smokey

Old 09-09-01, 06:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Thank you Smokey

Smokey
Thank you so much for this information, honestly I did not believe anyone would respond, your response was good enough for me. I am really undecided about it, even thou it is a very nice t.v set. I am really thinking about the possiblity of getting shocked or something, but if I do decide to go for it, I will be sure to let you know the outcome.

thanks again
Tangi

Old 09-09-01, 11:08 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon, tangi_5:

This is one site where you always get an answer. It may not be the one you want but we tell it like it is.

When you take the back off the set, notice a larger diameter wire that connects to the glass on the picture tube. Also notice where the wire comes from on the chassis. This is the High Voltage connection and carries anywhere from 25,000 to 45,000 volts. It won't kill you (normally) but it will light up your life. This is a good place to stay away from when the set is running.

The circuit voltages are fairly low and not life threatening. As I said before, get a circuit diagram and get an idea of what you are facing. It's better to have an idea of what the set is about before you start probing around inside.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: