Toshiba TV, no power

Old 10-06-01, 04:12 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a Toshiba 20" CX2057 TV from 1989 that has worked fine all these years. The other day, it just wouldn't turn on. No lights, no sound, no click. Outlet is fine, tried both power button on TV and on remote control- nothing.

I opened it up, and couldn't see anything obvious. No brown spots on the circuit boards, nothing melted (no recent electrical storms), and the two fuses I can see don't seem to be blown.

I'm wondering if this is a sign of a typical problem, or if I'd really have to bring it in to a service place to have it diagnosed. thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, if there are any website for TV repair diy (someone mentioned one in another post, but didn't say which website; I did see the website for circuit diagrams-- thanks).

Old 10-06-01, 09:51 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon, ftchang:

Well, you did all the preliminary checks (thank you!) so let's assume the problem is with the television set, itself.

No longer are TV's clicked on and off with a simple mechanical switch. In order for the set to have a remote control, everything has to be electronic these days. Most of these sets are blessed with a device called a Thyristor which, in layman's terms, is an electronic switch. A failure with no fuses blown indicates a more likely problem in the on-off circuitry and most likely a thyristor that has died.

But since the clock doesn't work, we can assume the 120 volts AC is not entering the set at all. Bad cord? Only troubleshooting with a meter can determine the source of the open circuit. And, this means a little time on the service bench.

This is not a terribly expensive repair, of course. But, again, you are dealing with a 12 year old set (soon to be 13). Why spend the $$$ to repair a set that is past its prime? Why don't you take the day off and take the family TV shopping. Put your hard earned money into something worthwhile.

Smokey

Old 01-14-07, 08:52 AM
E
Exclamation Same Problem

Just had the same problem. Did you fix your 2057 and if so how?

Thanks

Originally Posted by ;199118
I have a Toshiba 20" CX2057 TV from 1989 that has worked fine all these years. The other day, it just wouldn't turn on. No lights, no sound, no click. Outlet is fine, tried both power button on TV and on remote control- nothing.

I opened it up, and couldn't see anything obvious. No brown spots on the circuit boards, nothing melted (no recent electrical storms), and the two fuses I can see don't seem to be blown.

I'm wondering if this is a sign of a typical problem, or if I'd really have to bring it in to a service place to have it diagnosed. thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, if there are any website for TV repair diy (someone mentioned one in another post, but didn't say which website; I did see the website for circuit diagrams-- thanks).

Old 01-14-07, 05:23 PM
F
Toshiba TV

sorry, no-- didn't get any further. Just decided to get a new TV.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: