Toshiba Projection TV Power Led blinking

Old 10-16-01, 03:46 PM
Visiting Guest
My 50" Tv is plug to a surge protector. But 2 days ago, due to bad weather(Tornado warning), the power went down and back up very quickly. Start them on, sometimes my TV power led start blinking and cannot power on(the power switch do not work anymore). I need to unplug the power line wait 5 sec then plug it in. The TV will power on itself and everything go back normal. But after 20 to 30 min. watching. The TV will shun down by itself, the led start blinking. I need to unplug, plug back again(Sometime I have to repeat the unplug and plug 2 to 3 times to make it work). Any one experience this and how to fix this. My model is Toshiba TP50G60. Thanks

Old 10-17-01, 09:51 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon, franksai1:

I'm familiar with projection television sets. What I perceive from your post seems to point to a high voltage regulation failure in the set. The set is designed to shut down if the high voltage section is out of limits. You unplug the set and the protection circuit resets. You run the set for a while and suddenly you have a totally black screen or a screen with a lot of white in it. Click! It shuts down. Blinking light tells you the overload protector is in operation.

An unregulated high voltage supply (this supply makes your projector light up and project) needs to stay at a constant level. A scene with a black projection causes it to run too high if unregulated. A scene with a lot of white in it causes the supply to run to low if unregulated. The set senses this vast change, notes the values are out of tolerance, and it shuts down. In short, the set is protecting itself.

Call the techs out. There's nothing you can do unless you have a great knowledge of electronics. But, there is a good site you can check in case of further failures. Have a look at http://an.hitchcock.org/repairfaq/REPAIR/F_tvfaq.html

Smokey

Old 10-18-01, 03:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help. I call Toshiba support, they give me the telephone of their authorized repair shop. I guess I need to spend some money. Again Thanks

Old 10-18-01, 03:13 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Evening, franktsai1:

Remember I am an old technician sitting at a computer far from your door. I'm evaluating your problem from the information you provided.

So, let me know how this one ends. It helps me to be a better forum moderator.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: