Zenith 53" Projection TV Problem

Old 11-13-01, 03:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Zenith 53" Projection TV Problem

I have a Zenith model PV5263BT Projection Tv, year 1994,, heres the Problem,, Turn the Tv on and it will fire up and the screen will come on and then after a few minutes it will start to fade to black and white on the screen then slowly fade to color then fade back to black then it will go back slowly to color again,, then most of the time it will work right,, but if it dosent then it will go totally black on the screen and stay that way. Note the Audio is never affected at all it works great all of the time black screen or not. I took the back off and noticed the 3 filaments on the back glow hot at first then it will start to cool down,, Need to know what componets to go after that could be starting to fail.

Old 11-13-01, 09:38 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, weslucky:

I think you did all the troubleshooting, yourself, and found your answer. Incidentally, this was a good post and the information was great.

All the filaments are common to one another and suspect that you have one of Zenith's famous "bad connections". More than likely, there is a ground that is failing on the filament circuit and allowing the filaments to cool down.

The trick is to find the point where the ground is failing. If you can poke and prod around the unit (noting that ground wires are all black), find the loose connection, you can fix this problem with a low heat soldering iron and a little 60-40 electronic solder.

If you desire to obtain a service manual on the set, I would suggest you contact Union Electronics. They seem to stock all the stuff that Zenith doesn't. You can catch them at
http://www.unionel.com
The service manual will give you the diagrams you need to do some serious troubleshooting in the unit.

Thanks for using DoItYourself.com

Smokey

Old 11-14-01, 04:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the Info Smokey and will get to snooping out the bad parts, and thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, Will let know how I make out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: