toshiba tv

Old 12-15-01, 05:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Question toshiba tv

PLease advise

The toshiba tv i have is having a problem with audio.Sometimes the audio is great but most of times its in and out.The longer the tv runs less chances of audio.Plus it starts to make a crackling noise when the audio is about to go.

Thanks

Roger

Old 12-15-01, 09:21 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon (again), rtew1:

I strongly suspect there is a bad solder connection on the audio board in this television. Toshiba is famous for this type of failure.

Do me a favor and give me the model number of the TV and the approximate age of the unit.

Second, the next time it acts up, give it a "whack" on the side of the TV. Does it change the audio problem? Cure it?

Smokey

Old 12-31-01, 04:30 AM
Visiting Guest
toshiba model number

Hi Smokey

how are the holiday's going?
Mine iam spending doing my hobby work repairs.
For the toshiba its about 12 yrs old and the model number is cf32c50.I tried wacking it didn't work.

Thanks
Raj

Old 01-02-02, 12:06 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, rtew1:

Still suspect a bad solder connection that has failed from age. As the set warms up, the circuit boards flex a little from the heat, and the connection loses contact.

You can track it down, of course. Remove the back, turn on the set, and use a long, non-metallic wand of plastic/wood (DO NOT USE A PENCIL) to probe the audio circuit board. When you find a sensitive spot (where the sound comes and goes), unplug the set, and resolder the area. Use a low heat soldering iron and a little 60-40 electronic solder. Resolder all the components in that sensitive area.

Significant to note that you may have to do this two or three times. Most times you can't see the bad connection and just have to keep after it until you finally hit it.

A good website to keep in your Favorites file is at
http://an.hitchcock.org/repairfaq/REPAIR/F_tvfaq.html

Smokey

Old 01-02-02, 03:39 AM
Visiting Guest
hi smoke

I will try it out tonight thanks a lot.
Got a response from mike on vcr problem jvc he advised that removing the cage screws up the timing.What do you think?

Raj

Old 01-02-02, 01:58 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Big Mike is my hero. Do whatever he says.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: