Coax connector broken.....

Old 12-17-01, 07:14 AM
amccavitt
Visiting Guest
Coax connector broken.....

I have a 3 year old tv (forgot brand) that i broke the coax connector on the back. I opened it up and seen what happend. The connector has a little wire on it that seemed to connect to the circuit board. There is a little board that the coax connector is soldered to, then the little board is soldered onto the main board. Would they replace the little board, or the whole board. The TV is just a 27" one from like K-Mart, so i dont want to spend like $150+ on to fix it when I can get a new one for like $200.

I can watch tv though by using RCA cables going through my VCR. If i get a satellite system, can I still use the RCA cables. If so , i wont even worry about it.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-01, 09:06 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Leave it then. Use you VCR to tune antenna or cable until you
get satellite.

Old 12-17-01, 09:26 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon, amccavitt:

You can get the replacement connector at Radio Shack for around $2 or $3 and can solder it into place using a low heat soldering and a little 60-40 electronic solder. Or as an alternative, you can find these connectors at just about any electronic supply house.
They are identified as a panel mount F-59 connector.

I'd recommend fixing it because it will make things infinitely easier when you get your satellite hook-up.

Only word of caution comes from a recent post. The fellow did a bang up job of repairing a bad solder connection in his TV. But, he got anxious (or careless) and broke the neck on his picture tube putting the back on the TV. So, the word is BE CAREFUL when putting the back on the TV and stay away from the neck of the picture tube.

Smokey

Old 12-17-01, 09:53 AM
amccavitt
Visiting Guest
thanks for the responses. I did try to solder it back on. There is an actual "Hole" where this thing came out of. Let me clear that up. THe connector, has a little wire comming from the inside of it. On the little board that it used to connect to, there is a tiny hole as if the wire wen into. So i stuck the connector in the holder, then routed the wire into that hole, soldered a chunk of solder on there. But turned it on but didnt work. Maybe I just need a class on soldering.

Old 12-17-01, 11:27 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon, amccavitt:

I think I am going to get into trouble here but, what the heck!

If you purchased and installed an F-59 panel jack to the rear of the television set, I will assume that it came with a nut to tighten it to the back of the set? And, has an extra lug under the nut for a ground connection?

The center pin on the F-59 connector is the signal connection. If it needs a short piece of wire from that center pin to the circuit board then let's determine where it goes.

Disconnect (or unsolder) what you have for the moment.

Now, look at the cable from the wall that hooks to the connector on the outside of the TV. Should have a center conductor standing out ahead of the threaded capture nut. May be 1/8" or so in length. Copper? See it?

Okay, turn on the set. On the circuit board in question, touch the center pin of the external cable to various points until you see a picture on the screen. Better yet, look for the best picture on the screen. Let's assume this is the point where you want to solder the wire from the center pin of the connector on the back of the set to the circuit board.

The F-59 connector on the back of the set needs to find a ground for the coaxial shield. The outer metallic structure of the F-59 panel connector on the back is ground. Without the ground the picture will show on the screen but it may be snowy or shadowy.

Look for large areas on the circuit board. Large areas are usually ground planes. Touch a wire from the metallic outer housing of the F-59 panel jack to one of these areas. Picture clear up? Okay, you need a ground connection from the panel jack to the circuit board.

This about as good as it gets from my end. Let me know how you make out.

Smokey