Rca Tv

Old 12-20-01, 02:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Rca Tv

I have a 1996 RCA 46' TV, model # P46720LV. It was turned this morning, and was on for about a minute, then just went off. Trying again this evening, all I can hear is a faint high pitched noise when I try to turn it on, but that's it. It doesn't come on at all. I tried replacing the plug, with another that I had lying around. Same thing, nothing. I know that the outlet works too. Obviously, it's too big to lug anywhere, and I was wondering if this was something that I might be able to remedy. I appreciate the help!
~Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-01, 03:19 AM
Doctorhifi
Visiting Guest
Had a similar problem with a different brand of TV. Problem was in the power relays. Wasnt very expensive, about $150. You need to find someone locally who does in-house service. Hope this helps

Old 12-22-01, 05:53 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, LizzyBobio:

Sounds like a classic short in the set's high voltage power supply. The high pitched noise is sound of the horizontal oscillator circuit trying to generate a horizontal deflection to develop the high voltage. The oscillator is running at 7880 Hz which is in the audible range.

When you have a shorted component in the high voltage stage, the set will not produce a picture, obviously, and the set will go into a "protection mode" to turn itself off.

Smokey

Old 12-23-01, 05:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Thanks for all the help. If it's too much, I just may end up with the best looking fish tank on the block.

Old 12-23-01, 01:51 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good evening, LizzyBobio:

hmmmm! Fish tank? That's unusual. We always made liquor cabinets out of the beasts! LOL!

Smokey