Panasonic Buzzing

Old 01-03-02, 04:22 AM
J
JohnI
Visiting Guest
Angry Panasonic Buzzing

I have a 14 year old Panasonic 27" TV that has a very annoying buzzing noise. I have narrowed the noise down to a transformer that is screwed down to the wooden base of the set. I was able to stop the buzzing for a while by clamping it, but that is not working anymore. Any ideas? Is replacing the transformer a good option? The TV otherwise works fine.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-02, 12:38 AM
S
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

A "buzzing" transformer is usually caused by a thing called "hysterisis vibration". This is usually caused by a problem with the core of the transformer.

Replacement is an option, of course, and will usually solve the problem. Another option which works "now and then" is to take a common center punch, a small hammer, and "dimple" the housing on the transformer. If there is no housing, of course, the only other alternative is replacement.

Old 01-04-02, 02:13 AM
J
JohnI
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks Smokey! Any tips on where to find a replacement transformer?

Also, on the center punch trick: By housing, do you mean the metal casing?

Thanks again.

Old 01-04-02, 08:41 AM
S
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Yah, I have had several of these noisy transformers over the years. The problem is that the center core of the transformer is a layered metal that is bonded together. The bond breaks and the center core will rattle (or buzz).

Sometimes (not all times) we could settle the thing down with a couple of dings from a center punch in the transformer housing.

Parts for your machine are available at http://www.unionel.com

Smokey