Mitsubishi Proj. TV - channel problems

Old 01-15-02, 04:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry Mitsubishi Proj. TV - channel problems

My TV is possessed. When the antenna is plugged via coaxial into the set, and I use the TV to change channels (versus a VCR or Cable Box) it randomly changes itself back to channel 8. Is this a message to me that something is wrong? or are the channel button contacts not secure? It is a 1987 or 1988 internal projection tv but it has a great picture and sound. It is worth investing $100-200 worth of repairs. HELP!!

Old 01-15-02, 06:33 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good morning, i_m_rooster:

We don't get too many "possessed" TV's on this forum. It's a refreshing change. LOL!

All kidding aside, look for a light source in the room that could be causing the problem. Your remote control is coded infra-red signals to the TV and the TV may be receiving random information from another source. Lava lamps, lights in fish tanks, fluorescent lights, etc. are some of the strange ones I have encountered.

A quick fix I have used over the years requires a piece of black electrician's tape about 1" long. Cut a rectangular hole in the tape about 3/16" wide and 3/4" long. Paste the tape over the receiving lens of your set's remote control receiver so that the rectangular hole is parallel to the floor. This desensitizes the remote control but it will still work with the hand held unit. It will also shield the unit from the bandit light source.

Smokey

Old 01-15-02, 06:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking thanks smokey, I'll give it a try.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: