Problem with 60 inch Zenith Projection.

Old 02-01-02, 10:50 PM
hypermikem
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Problem with 60 inch Zenith Projection.

I've just noticed recently that my 7 year old Zenith 60" model # PVY6067DT, manufactured in October of '96 has developed a red shadow and a green shadow on the top and bottom part of the screen. It makes all the letters and the time as well as other menu icons have a redish shadow, and a green shadow behind the normally yellow text. I makes them appear "tripled" and leaning slightly to the outside of the picture, sort of like 3-d effect. It kind of looks like the red and green portion of ther text and icons are trying to separate. So for example if I was looking at the time on the right hand top part of the screen, I would see the time and a red shadow of the same image bending to the outside directly behind it, and some of the text towards the top is turning green, instead of the normally yellow text. So I can see three different colors on two images of the time. It's also starting to show on the lower half too, but the middle seems ok for now. I paid a bundle for this tv and would like to know if this sounds familiar to anyone, or if someone knows what could be causing this. Is it normal for projection tvs to develop these kinds of problems after five or so years? Is it extremely expensive to fix, or is just a matte of changing a "tube" or something? HELP! My tv was my pride & joy and now it's beginning to look like crap.

Last edited by hypermikem; 02-01-02 at 11:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-02, 07:26 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, hypermikem:

There's nothing serious here. The convergence needs to be
readjusted on the unit.

The projection tubes have to be aligned so that they project on a predicted spot on the screen. The red, blue, and green have to be adjusted so they project to a single spot to make black. If the guns are out of alignment, they project their primary colors in a neutral area.

What causes this? Components age over time and their values change slightly. So, the convergence will "drift" a bit over time.
But, it is adjustable. Having a screen that is 60" diagonally makes things look worse than they really are.

Have someone come out and adjust the convergence for you.

Smokey

Old 02-02-02, 09:44 AM
hypermikem
Visiting Guest
Thank you smokey!

I love your forum, and your response was so fast. Thank you so much for giving me a little peace of mind on this. I thought my beloved tv was toast. I should be able to get someone in here to do this adjustment in home? Is this really expensive? Well it's gotta be cheaper than getting a new tv, eh? :-)

Old 02-02-02, 12:29 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon, hypermikem:

I'm glad you are pleased with our effort to give the working man an even chance. We're all dedicated professionals that donate our time to this site. Yes, we are unpaid. But, we love what we do. It should give you a warm fuzzy knowing there are folks in America that care about other folks.

The convergence set up is not expensive. You may pay for a little technician time but there are no parts involved. Your beloved TV is not toast. It's just getting a little age on it and like all of us old folks, it needs a tweek now and then. LOL!

Smokey

Old 02-11-02, 03:04 PM
hypermikem
Visiting Guest
Wink Get a load of this, Smokey.

Well, something very strange has happened since my initial post. I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to save some money to get a tech in here to service my zenith, but was encouraged that you told me there was hope. So about a week later, I decided to call the home warranty guys to get the timers on my pool filtration system replaced cause they were frozen. So they came out and had to kill the power to the filter. Well they didn't know which breaker it was, so they turned off a bunch of them, which needless to say killed the power to many things inside the home. The power was off for about 45 minutes, including the receptacles where I have my surge protector and tv hooked up. After he was done, he turned all the breakers back on, and the problem with my tv was gone! No double images, no convergance problems.....nothing. The picture is a sharp and clear as ever. I don't know what happened, but apparently it was some sort of voltage problem, that was reset when he turned the breakers off and then back on again after some time elapsed. Needless to say I am at a loss, as I do not understand electical stuff too well. It's been going good for a week now. What could have caused this?

Ok now for another one: My brother in law was so impressed with your forum, that he asked me to describe a problem he is having with his projection tv. His is a RCA 48", Model# PV46720LV, Manufactured the same month and year as my zenith....OCt '96. His tv started out with basically the same sysmptoms as mine, but his problem got worse and worse, until all it does now is have an extremely garbled screen, with practically unreadable menu options, because everything is compressed to the center of the screen. There is a sort of pulsating action going on, and you can hear a steady clicking noise comming from the back of the tv. The menu images seem to be tripled or quadrupled, and pulsate wildly, so that you can hardly read any menu options. Any ideas as to what that could be? Thanks so much for your help, Smokey.

Old 02-12-02, 05:45 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, hypermikem:

Your "fix" was a rare situation but as we advocate, "If it ain't broke, don't keep fixing it until it is." I have a feeling, though, that this convergence problem will recur down line. Until it does, though, enjoy the set.

Relative to your brother-in-law and his problem, do me a favor and start a new thread on the forum the next time. I hate to mix problems on the same thread because they lose continuity. And, it is too easy for me to overlook the problem and fail to respond.

In his situation, it would appear he has a failure in the blanking amplifier. This is speculation on my part without actually seeing the problem one on one. But, it is not a difficult fix and may require a small circuit board to set it right. When the blanking amp goes bad, the picture loses "timing" and synchronization.

Smokey

Old 08-13-02, 06:59 AM
hypermikem
Visiting Guest
Cool Smoky, an update on my Zenith.

Well, as you predicted, somthing ended up happening later. One day I was watching my Zenith, and it was working cherry. Then BAM! no Picture. It turns out I blew a transformer. I smellled that unmistakable electical burning comming from where the power cord goes in. I had it taken to one of the few independant Zenith guys left here in California. A small mom and pop tv repair place in Selma Ca. called Morgan's tv, and they replaced the transformer along with about 7 to 10 resistors and a few other pins that were located in different areas. It ran me 400 bones. To top it all off, when I got it home, it quickly went down again. I didn't smell the horrible stench this time, but I understand that these sets have an auto shut down cycle in which they will protect the set by shutting down before further damage is done? ANyhow, they came and picked it up again and took it, and left my check with me. I thought that was pretty cool of them, or maybe they are gonna jack me and say that it's gonna take another couple hundred to fix it! My question is, why would it play fine for 1/2 day then suddenly go out again? They fixed the bad transformer and I thought all the associated affected parts. I'm getting scared that this is going to end up being a money pit. I love my tv but at what point should I consider cutting my losses and resign to the fact that this tv may have just lemoned outon me and will end up costing me a hell of alot of money for what may turn out to be equivalent to exploratory surgery? I am scared that my tv will never be the same after the transformer fried. What if it fried other parts that are not too easy to locate or troubleshoot, and will end up costing me much more than the 400 bones that I was quoted. HELP! These guys have been to various Zenith schooling and I thought that they would fix up my tv no problem, but now I'm getting a little concerned. What else could be going on in there!?

Old 08-13-02, 08:54 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
hypermikem, That problem should be on the convergence board. Usually the voltage regulating transistor(s)short throwing the beam alignment off and the ability to adjust it. Thats a common problem on the rca's. Replacing the transistor(s) should cure the problem.

Fred

Old 08-13-02, 01:50 PM
hypermikem
Visiting Guest
Yeah?

So you think maybe these dudes might have overlooked that little detail when they worked on it? I mean, it's possible......they obviously forgot about something or else it would still be working, right? It was working, from whay my daughter says about 15 minutes, and the picture looked as good as the day we brought it home, she left the room and when she came back in, there was no power to the unit at all. Not even the little red "power" light. Is that the result of a auto shutdown of some kind? I felt behind the unit where i smelled smoke before, and it was very warm, but did not smell. from what I understand, this area will get hot, because it's where the high voltage is. But there was absolutley no power to the unit. The guy said he was gonna get back in there and take care of it, and then let it play for a day or two to make sure it's kosher. So are you saying if there is something wrong on the convergance board, it will cause the entire system to loose power?

Old 08-13-02, 03:50 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Yes. The power supply supplies the voltage(s) to that convergence board and if there are severely shorted power transistor and resistors that have changed value does create a problem. The majority of the rca's I worked on the television still played when the convergence board was bad.

Fred

Old 09-10-02, 11:12 AM
hypermikem
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down This sucks!

Well, it turns out these guys replaced the transformer and some chips, and it burned on them there at the shop again. SO then they went ahead and put a new module in there and a new transformer, and I got it back home after almost a month in the shop. It worked for 3 hours then burnt again. I lost video then immediately unplugged it from the wall socket, and it continued to smolder for about ten minutes. It smelled like electrical smoke mixed with burning partical board. I quickly unplugged all of my other stuff from the tv and quickly pushed it into the garage thinking it was on fire and was going to burn my house down! God, I hate to think what could have happened if my wife & daughter were home alone watching this set when it burned. It was very close to starting on fire! Anyhow, they came and picked it up for the third time, and said, "Well that a new module in there." to which I replied " well there is obviously something else wrong with it that's causeing all this other stuff to burn." To which they replied "Well we'll find it." They said they let it play for 2 days then gave it to me, then it burned after 3 hours? What are my rights here? I paid them 400 dollars to fix my tv and now it may be in worse shape than when they came and got it the first time! I'm quite sure they will eventually be asking for more money as they keep attempting to fix it, but is it my fault they can't find the problem? Should I have to pay for the "exploratory Surgery"? HELP!

Old 09-10-02, 01:28 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
No!

Fred

Old 10-17-02, 06:13 AM
hypermikem
Visiting Guest
Wink JUst an update on this situation.

Ok, finally I got my tv home and working. Let me just say that my paranoid fears of "being taken to the cleaners" was off line, but a valid concern as a consumer. These guys took two months to finally find the problem, but at least I have my tv back. They did not charge me any more money than their original estimate, even though they replaced the module twice and the HV transformer also. They said what it ultimately ended up being, is that some liquid was oozing out of a blue tube on the module, and it was causing havok as you can imagine. This time when they brought it home, they had left it on for a week straight, to make sure it was not going to burn on me again. So, overall, I guess I'm ok with this as long as it lasts for a good while more, dispite taking two months to fix. Man Zeniths can be a pain in the you know what, but I still love my 60 inch!