46" Magnavox projection TV

Old 03-01-02, 11:43 AM
spencka
Visiting Guest
46" Magnavox projection TV

My TV developed a very thin horizontal line, down approximately 1/4 from the top of the screen. I have a full picture, less the distortion caused by this very thin line.

The line is perfectly straight, appears even when turned on "cold". The line never changes, even when on for some time.

Suggestions or advice?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 03-01-02, 01:39 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Do you have a model number and model year? That helps when I chase through the archieves.

Second question: Is there information above and below the line on the screen? Or is the picture pulled down totally?

Smokey

Old 03-03-02, 02:51 PM
spencka
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Magnavox 46" projection TV

Smokey,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I had surgery a couple day's ago, so I'been out of action!

Here's what I've been able to find! On the back of the TV, located on a sticker:

Model Number - RL 8537 AKO4
Chassis Number - PTV-380-A001
Pack Date Code - 3011L031A

I also still have the schematics. I'm not sure about a number I found on the schematics, but...

EL4333-2

Anyway, this number is in bold print, on the front of the schematic drawing, all by itself?

As fo age, I have no positive date for sure. I did purchase it myself, brand new, and my best guess is between 10 - 12 years ago. Definitely over 10 years old.

Hope this helps!

By the way, just to give a little more detail on the problem discription; directly above this line (Approx. 1/4 of the upper screen) the picture appears to be a little clearer and brighter. The lower 3/4 of the screen is slightly darker. I know this sounds funny, but my daughter describes it as if the screen had sunglasses on!

Thanks for your time!

Steve

Old 03-04-02, 08:00 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, spencka:

The problem indicates ripple on the power supply so I would be checking filter capacitors for a failure. It is distorting the vertical drive pulse from the vertical oscillator.

I wouldn't recommend putting a whole lot of money into this old set, though. The average life of one of these units is 9-10 years
maximum. After that, any money you put in is lost.

Smokey

Old 03-04-02, 08:13 PM
spencka
Visiting Guest
Magnavox 46" projection TV

Thanks for the info Smokey! I'm sure you gathered that I have limited abilities personally to fix my TV, having the info you provided will at least give me a little insight when the repairman shows up on Wednesday.

By the way, it's kind of funny, but we live in a rather small community in central Florida (not many TV shops). The one company that I found that seemed interested in looking at the set wanted $125.00 just to "look" at it, and if it needed to be moved (which they said it would) it would cost $50.00 to leave, and $50.00 to bring it back!!!!

On Monday, I was talking with couple of freinds at work, and one guy suggested a company he uses. I really doubted I get their help, because they're about 30 miles from me.

Surprisingly, they agreed, and they'll be here Wednesday morning. They said it would be $50.00 to assess the problem, then TBD for parts & labor! Oh, and on the rare chance he can't fix it "in-house", there's no charge should they have to take it to the shop!!!

Wow, what a difference! I guess it really does pay to shop around!

Thanks, again for your help!!

Steve

Old 03-05-02, 11:52 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

For our records, let us know what the techs determine as the problem. We keep archieves to relate to these failures and the information may help the next guy.

Thanks.

Smokey

Old 03-06-02, 08:26 AM
spencka
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Magnavox 46" projection TV

Hey Smokey,

Well the TV tech just left, with the TV. He said there appears to be two problems, one with green can, which needed "fluid". I didn't know they used "fluid"! He showed me the process, and gotta say, I was surprised! This problem he said will improve the picture tenfold! Hope he's right!

He also mentioned that "they" usually change the fluid in the blue can at the same time. The orange can was fine, and whne he asked me to look at them to compare, there was an obvious difference. He said the good news was he could fix this problem "in-house. The bad news was the line accross the top of the screen. He said he'd need to fix this in the shop, as he suspected "caps" were the problem. He said caps were capacitors, resistor's etc. so I'm guessing soldering would be involved.

As for costs, he said there would be the $55.00 fee for the call, and the estimate for parts & labor was between $275.00 & $300.00.

Since we can't afford a new TV at this time, and I'm the type that likes all the bells & whistles, I told him to go ahead.

The tech guessed it would be ready by early next week. Again this guy came 30 miles, so I was actually pretty happy. Particularly after getting estimates from the local folks ($200 for pick-up & delivery, didn't include parts & labor)!

So what do you think? Does it sound fair to you? I won't mind the $350.00 if the picture is as good as he described! We'll see!

I'll get back to you with the veridict next week

Old 03-06-02, 04:02 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

You did good. And, yes, there is a fluid in the lens of the projection tubes. You can find it at:

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/803.html

He and I agree it is capacitors (caps) causing the problem at the top of the picture.

Smokey

Old 03-14-02, 07:59 PM
William Michael
Visiting Guest
spencka,
Who is working on your set in central florida? I had the same cost shock in the Orlando area. Looking for good work at good price.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 03-14-02, 08:30 PM
spencka
Visiting Guest
Magnavox 46" projection TV

A Company called ARW Electronics out of Merritt Island

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: