Mitsubishi - Sound, but no picture.

Old 03-03-02, 04:41 PM
markpl
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Mitsubishi - Sound, but no picture.

I have a 2-3 year old Mitsubishi Diamond Vision Projection televsion... model number WS-55905. Problem is that I was watching television one night, and the picture just went blank... the sound is there and it appears that everything else works (changing input, channels, etc). I did notice about a month ago that the picture went blank, but quickly reappeared by itself.

Any ideas what this could be??? And the cost of the repair??

Thanks,

Mark

Old 03-04-02, 07:55 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, markpl:

I need a better definition of "picture going blank". Which of the following applies:

a) Screen goes black
b) Screen stays lit but no picture, no snow
c) Screen stays lit but only shows snow

Each one is a different problem.

Smokey

Old 03-04-02, 08:13 AM
markpl
Visiting Guest
Hi,

Thanks for replying so quick!!!..

The answer to your question is the the screen is totally blank, (choice "A" from what you listed). It basically looks like the set is off... nothing happens.. .no light or images at all... just totally shut down with sound only (inputs seems to work as well as changing channels).

Old 03-05-02, 09:26 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Okay, that narrows the arena a little bit. Check this for me:

a) Do the projection tubes light up at all? You can look at the projection face to see if they are lit.

b) Do you hear the familiar "crackle" of high voltage building up when the set is turned on?

c) Are the filaments lit in the projection tubes when the set is on?

We have to narrow the arena a little more to determine if it is a loss of high voltage, a loss of video, or a loss of deflection.

Look for blown fuses. There are also a pair of fuses on the convergence board. Are they blown? One blown?

Need a schematic or repair manual for the set? Contact these folks:
http://www.treasurechestcorp.com/Default.htm

Smokey

Old 03-05-02, 11:10 AM
markpl
Visiting Guest
I'm not familiar with the schematics... so I will have to get a copy. But, on first look... I do hear that "crackling noise" at startup... but I don't see any light coming from the tubes. I don't know where the fuses are located or what they are suppose to look like, so I will have to wait until I look at the schematics. Any guesses?

Old 03-05-02, 11:33 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Fuses are inside the projector.

If you hear the high voltage "crackle" then that usually eliminates the high voltage as a problem.

How about filaments in the tubes? Are they lit up?

Smokey

Old 03-19-02, 03:17 PM
imatoolman
Visiting Guest
I Have same Problem

Smokey/Mark
I have the same problem
Screen Total Black with good sound
I have to open the set up to see if tube are firing up
I don't know if I have the power up sound
and I have to check on the fuses
where exactly are the fuses located?
Thanks
Toolman

Old 03-20-02, 01:41 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
If you need a service manual on the set(s), there is a site that provides these, has secure ordering, and understand they are fairly rapid in delivery.

Find them at
http://www.treasurechestcorp.com/Default.htm

This will give you an idea of how to navigate through the electronics, give you part numbers, etc.

If you need parts, I recommend Union Electronics at
http://www.unionel.com/

Tell them Smokey sent you from DoItYourself.com

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: