Hitachi 46UX10BF

Old 03-14-02, 04:10 PM
jkalnin
Visiting Guest
Question Hitachi 46UX10BF

This is an old Projection TV. When I turn it on now it takes like 5-10 minutes to warm-up. During this period the verical hold is whacked out and the picture is impossible to see. After it warms up now the picture has a slight flutter. The picture in picture no longer works (the small window jsut shows fuzz), and the screen has some dark spots that do not go away with external cleaning (maybe on the inside???). Are any of these problems worth fixing or is it time to invest in a new big screen TV? I don't want to spend $300 for repairs if the TV is going to die in a few months. Also, I really just want the picture to look good when I turn on the TV. I don't really care about fixing the PIP. Any advise is appreciated.

Old 03-14-02, 06:22 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good evening, jkalnin:

My goodness! I have a friend in Pennsylvania! I keep seeing that on license plates all the time. LOL!

All kidding aside, this is not a new set we are discussing. I see problems in at least three circuits. I see the possibility of repairs that will approach the three digit column.

If you are anticipating having these repairs made, then the obvious answer is to replace.

If you are going to pop the covers on this beast and do it yourself, come back and we will discuss the repairs.

Smokey

Old 03-15-02, 07:44 AM
jkalnin
Visiting Guest
I am not a TV repair person, yet I am not a total moron either. If you think a repair amateur can handle the fixes then bring em on! However, if you think these problems can only be handled by a pro then it is time to replace a TV. One other question: There are spots on the screen that do not come off. Is it possible the the spots ae on the inside of the TV screen? If it is possible then I will gladly pop that baby open to at least blow the dust out of the interior of the TV.

Many thanks for your help!!!

Old 03-15-02, 08:25 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Well, as we have said so many times, these projection TV's only have a life span of about 9-10 years and then they start their downward spiral. They don't have the longevity of the old CRT sets.

Unfortunately, repair costs are high these days and they don't seem to get any better. It's not uncommon to see bills in the triple digit area for repairs.

Cleaning the screen requires a special cleaner and the one that I recommend is http://www.tritronicsinc.com/proclean.html

This is good for cleaning both the screen and the lenses. Remember to use a very soft cloth in the process to avoid scratching the reflective surfaces.

If you desire to get a service manual on the set, they are relatively inexpensive and a good investment if you decide to get inside the unit to make some repairs. You can find the manual at
http://www.treasurechestcorp.com/Default.htm

The problem with the vertical jitter is most likely bad solder connections around the vertical oscillator/driver circuit. Another area that causes problems in in the convergence control area.
The convergence IC's (usually two of them) get a little flakey and have to be replaced.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: