Picture problem!!!!!!!!

Old 03-19-02, 01:15 PM
brucey
Visiting Guest
Angry Picture problem!!!!!!!!

I just got a 2nd hand 28" Toshiba TV. The problem is the picture is to squashed. Through any signal including normal aerial signal the picture seems to be in excessive widescreen mode i.e. 1/4 of the screen top and bottom was black. And the image was squashed. Also there where black lines at the top of the viewable image and the bottom right of the viewable rectangle was bent in a little.
I know the set doesn't have a widescreen function so all I can assume is that its related to the tube and magnets.
Basically I wanted some advice about whether this is usually a fixable problem or will I need a new tube/scrap the tv and cry about the money I spent on it.

Cheers
muchly

Bruce

p.s. model number is 2805DB

Old 03-19-02, 04:05 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Good evening, Brucey:

just got a 2nd hand 28" Toshiba TV. The problem is the picture is to squashed. Through any signal including normal aerial signal the picture seems to be in excessive widescreen mode i.e. 1/4 of the screen top and bottom was black. And the image was squashed. Also there where black lines at the top of the viewable image and the bottom right of the viewable rectangle was bent in a little.
Besides your inability to spell correctly, does this happen when the set is first turned on or does it happen gradually?
I know the set doesn't have a widescreen function so all I can assume is that its related to the tube and magnets.
Basically I wanted some advice about whether this is usually a fixable problem or will I need a new tube/scrap the tv and cry about the money I spent on it.
Smokey says: Were you a bit under the ale when you wrote this?

Smokey says: tell me where you are. This whole question is quite intense. Everyone calm down! Let's do this again! Only next time, be a little more exact.

Smokey

Old 03-20-02, 09:41 AM
brucey
Visiting Guest
Okay, from the start....and my spelling isn't that bad

Right. The problem is when I turn the TV on. The picture instantly is in the funny squashed mode. The width of the picture is fine, just the top on bottom 1/4 of the screen is black.

I tried to play with the functions on the remote control which allow the picture to be widened horizontally and vertically, but the vertical wideneing had little or no effect.

The picture itself, although squashed, is otherwise perfect in terms of colour and clarity.

At the top of the viewable image there seems to be a zig zag of black, almost as if the beam lines weren't close enough together. Although I expect that is a smaller problem which could rectify itself with the fixing of the main problem.

I am in the uk by the way! So thats maybe why my spelling seemed wrong.........or not.

Hope thats a bit clearer...and with not so many spelling mistakes.

Cheers

B

Old 03-20-02, 01:32 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good evening, Brucie:

Much better now and I have a clearer understanding of what is going on here.

There should be an internal adjustment inside the set for both
Vertical Linearity and Vertical Height. Perhaps a component has aged or a filter capacitor is going bad in the low voltage supply.

Open up the set and locate the controls. The one that will cure this problem is the Vertical Height Adjustment.

Need a service manual on this set:
http://www.treasurechestcorp.com/Default.htm

Also refer to this site for details of your problem:
http://an.hitchcock.org/repairfaq/REPAIR/F_tvfaq.html

Pay attention to Section 23.8

Smokey

Old 03-20-02, 02:22 PM
brucey
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tips.

I think however that I am a bit of a retard when it comes to looking for things in the TV. I found focus, screen, and a few other things which seemed to effect the colours....oh and a lot of dust. No vertical adjustments though.

I think its time for the extortionate repair man to have a look.

Thanks again

B

Old 03-20-02, 03:14 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I truly love the British humor! You folks are my favorite people (next to the Aussies).

Come back and visit us at DoItYourself.com anytime.

Smokey in the Colonies

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: