Zenith 27" color problem

Old 03-21-02, 12:14 PM
Jha
Visiting Guest
Zenith 27" color problem

I have a Zenith 27" console that is approx. 6 or 7 years old. The color started going bad a while back. It appeared as though the adjustments were just off but we have never been able to adjust it quite right..too much green, or too much red, etc. We took it in to the shop the other day. The repair man said he "shot" the picture tube and it is working fine now. He wants to let it run at his shop for a few days to "make sure it holds". He charged us $20.00 for the diagnosis and $35.00 for "shooting" it. I have no problem with the charge..I actually expected to pay more. What I am curious about is the duration of this fix. Will this last us a few more years, or will having it "shot" be a recurring thing. Thanks for any info.

Old 03-21-02, 04:58 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good evening, jha:

Your picture tube is bad and that's a fact.

I don't ever recommend "shooting a tube" but some folks still do it. It is using a "picture tube rejuvenator" on an ailing tube. It forms a high voltage on the control grid(s) and causes an arc to occur inside the electron gun(s) and burns away some of the material on the tube cathode (s).

For one, it is risky. Second, it may show an improvement in performance but it is short lived. Six hours, six days, six months.... who knows? At best, it is a throw of the dice.

Looks like a nice weekend ahead. Maybe you might want to take the family shopping for a new TV? LOL!

Smokey

Old 03-22-02, 06:43 AM
Jha
Visiting Guest
Smokey, thanks for the reply. It sounds like I should be shopping for a new boat as well..to go with my new anchor.

Old 03-22-02, 05:52 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Smile

Smokey doesn't tell lies. Make your own decisions based on your needs and available income.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: